DRC's newest restoration project

drcook

The ones of you all that are members over on Shotgunworld have seen these, for the ones of you that aren't here are some pics of the what I am doing lately.

I have a 1952 16ga Ithaca 37 28" FULL with a Simmons rib on it. I am going to strip the blue via chemicals and do little if no abrasive work on the metal. It is pretty good as it is, but showing some age. I don't want to disturb the metal in anyway, just get a fresh blueing job on it. I will respring it where needed.

I am going to approach Ithaca and find out how much they will simply dip it for me so that the finish can be documented as "factory" otherwise, as long as I completely prep the gun, and nothing other than running through the cleaning tank, I can get it done locally for $40.00. That is strictly clean and blue.

I found the below buttstock on a gun in Florida, which the folks were gracious enough to put on layaway for me, as I have spent my gun allowance for the most part. But my wife agreed the wood was so good, we could do it. This wood is going to go on the 1952.

The donor gun is a 1951 (16ga Ithaca 37 of course) that is in great shape. Someone put a poly choke on it, so it is not completely stock, or I would have left it alone. I have a friend that has a mid-50's stock that I will acquire soon and fit to this gun and put it back to being a hunter.

The good folks at polychoke are restoring a ventilated polychoke front piece for me that they had in a box. I think they look a little better that way than just a blob on the end of the barrel. It will match the polychoke on the barrel of the one I set up for my wife, which is in a pic below.

The last 4 pictures are of the 1952 before I stole the buttstock off it. It had been cut for a recoil pad and was getting a bit in need of a refinish. I stripped the finish off, recut the checkering, and redid it with hand rubbed lacquer and put it on the other gun I built for my wife

The magazine nut on the 51 might be better than my 1952. Once I get it done, it will look and feel like I took a trip in my DeLorean and just walked out of the door with it. NewInBox. down at the gunshop that used to be on Market Street in Akron, Ohio down by Mogadore Rd way back in the day. At least I think that place was open then, I can remember it being there in the early 60's.

407231628.jpg

407231627.jpg

407231625.jpg

407231624.jpg

407231623.jpg

406833609.jpg

By referring to the bluing as factory, do you intend to represent the gun as having original bluing? That would no only be misleading, but I doubt that today's "factory" bluing is the same as back in its day.

The nice thing about "factory" work is that it is done at the factory. The invoices will prove that if and when drcook decides to sell the gun.

I had a Model 37 drilled and tapped during the Ithaca Gathering, Zak had the whole operation completed in a few hour's and the invoice proves all the work was completed by the factory.

To me a seller proving work done by the factory enhances the value of the gun.

as having original bluing?

can't have unless Ithaca themselves sent the gun barrel to Simmons in the white and had the rib put on then shipped back and blued

as it says Simmons on the rib, from what I have read, that means it was aftermarket. as part of the process, Simmons has to reblue the barrel. right there took it out of the original finish and anyone that is an actual collector of Ithaca 37's would know

No, I do not intend to defraud anyone, there are enough New In Box old guns still floating around

If I ever sold it, I would just say it was sent back to the factory for a blueing job and have the receipt to prove it

It would take an actual knowledgeable Ithacaite to want this gun as most folks want a 300 dollar 870 with screw in chokes, not a 6 or 7 hundred dollar 16ga Ithaca with a fixed Full choke barrel

UNLESS it is one of the brand new ones (meaning new in box a couple mid 50's NIB guns were around lately), or a pristine pre-war gun in 16ga

what will make this a unique gun is the wood that I found, that it has the Simmons rib on it, that it didn't have a poly-choke put on it (even though I do like and appreciate poly-chokes, most folks don't) that the metal is in good shape (not dinged up etc) and then having a good bluing job on it

I can polish by hand just as good as anyone based on experience when I did tool and die work as a younger man and my gunsmith friend can blue with the best of them, but some folks just have a hangup on having a factory blue job ;)

But if Ithaca will do it reasonably there is just a little more value added when it is "factory".

Last edited:
Back