Downside to a Glock 21 in IPSC or USPSA?

RICHB

Inactive
Is there a "downside" to using a Glock 21 in either IPSC or USPSA? I am considering buying one, and I might be interested in competitive shooting down the road. I have handled .45's before, so from that stand point it's not an issue for me. I just want to know if this gun (a 45 cal) will be a hindrance to use in competition.
Thanks

I have a G21 that I occasionally shoot in different competitions (ISPC, IDPA, and Steel Challenge). There are two problems:
1. the trigger is very rough
2. The barrel doesnt like lead bullets

Ref 1. There are now aftermaket parts and gunsmiths that fix the trigger problem, but I havent tried one worked on yet.
Ref 2. There are drop in barrels to handle cast bullets. Match grade cast bullets are much cheaper to shoot, and as big and slow as they are there should be no leading problems, I now cast all my own to further the savings.

I mostly shoot a 1911 for all these competitons.

The downside in USPSA is ammo cost if you shoot Production, and more recoil than the 9mm competitors you will be shooting against. Production is still a good place to shoot the 21 though. If you shoot Limited with it you will be down 8-10 rounds in capacity, 4-6 even with extensions on the mags. Limited 10 is a good place for the G21, Glocks reload well without a magwell, capacity isn't an issue, and major PF ammo is easy.

I'm currently using a G21 with a Vanek trigger, Dawson Precision sights and a Aluminum Seattle Slug for USPSA L10 and IDPA CDP/ESP. The only downside that I see is in the Limited division due to magazine capacity. I agree with Joe D that when using the same load it is a softer shooter than a 1911 single stack.

Raul & Joe,
Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "softer shooter"?

FYI, my second choice is the 40 cal. The only reason I'am staying away from the 9mm is because I have had one before, (not Glock) and want something different this time around. Any thoughts on the .40 cal?

Richb

unless you want to 'win'

There is no "downside" to using any approved gun, except potential victory at the chosen game.

BFD.

I believe anyone competing wins, simply because of the enhancement in gun handling skill.

So use your Glock / Ruger / Taurus / whatever, have a good time, and pay attention! because you'll find yourself learning.......

A33102

Thanks for all the replies. After reading these and some others, and of course, test firing a few models, I chose the Glock 22 (.40cal) I pick it up in 67 hours. (not that I'm counting!)

Back