Dovetail sight removal?

Legionnaire

How does one remove a dovetailed front sight? Is there a special tool for the job? Do you just drift it out with a punch? How do you keep from boogering it up?

Some guns have sight pushers available (Sig and Glock come to mind). Sights can be removed via the hammer and punch method, although it's not recommended for "night" sights. Use a brass or nylon punch (available from Brownell's), and make sure your'e driving the sight out the side it was meant to come out! On some guns it doesn't matter; on Sigs the sight has to come the left side. A drop of oil on the sight where the punch contacts it will prevent marking up the sight or will make it much easier to remove any mark the punch leaves.

Thanks, Chris. Here's the application. I'm interested in replacing the front bead on a Marlin 1894S with one with a tritium insert. I've spoken with Tool Tech Gunsight, and they said, "Send us your front sight and we'll see if we can drill it to install a tritium lamp, or whether a new sight would have to be built." So I need to remove the sight. I supposed I could take off the whole assembly (looks like it screws to the barrel), or order a replacement sight from Marlin (or Brownell's) and ship that up.

However, you see the complication. If they are able to install a tritium lamp for me, how do I reinstall, if drifting with a punch is not recommended for night sights? Inquiring minds need to know!

Back