Dove Hunting in Mexico - Questions

GODAWGS

Inactive
I am trying to plan a dove hunt for next year in Mexico. Anyone have any good advice about guides and time of year to go. Any other advice?

Thanks

Since guns in mexico are a HUGE no-no, I'd stay here in the US and do a dove hunt in southeast AZ instead.........Last thing you need is to be stopped by the federali's with a gun in your possession..........You'd be gone for awhile!!!!

Make sure you get a good outfitter. A good outfitter will get you the permits that you need to cross your gun. Living here in South Texas, I know alot of people that deer hunt and a few that dove hunt in Mexico. The permit is not hard to get, but your still going to wait several hours at the border with there Customs agents. If your going to be going more than once, don't bring the gun back. Leave the gun with your outfitter and and bring it back at the end of the season. Save you the hassle at the border each time. If you find a good outfitter, the dove hunting is excellent. You can shoot hundreds a day. No bag limit in Mexico. If you go on a guided hunt, you usually have to tip your guide. Normally its a couple hundred bucks. I knew a guy that would go once every fews years. Instead of taking his expensive shotguns down there, he would buy a cheap Mossberg and use that as the tip at the end of the hunt. A friend of mine thats a Game Warden here goes to Mexico every year dove hunting. Last year he went to Argentina dove hunting. He said the Dove hunting down there is unbelievable. He said you shoot them till you get tired of shooting or your shoulder can't take it anymore. He said there so thick down there, you easily shoot 2 and 3 a shot. I know thats a little off the subject, just FYI. As far as the times to go, it's pretty much the same as over here. Maybe alittle later do to it being farther south. I'll ask around and see if I can find the names of some good guides. As far as advise, just remember, your not in the U.S. anymore and the rules are different. Go in groups and stay together if your going to be running around in the city.

Not knocking it, but I have to ask Why? When there's such good hunting in the USA. I could see going to old Mexico for a Gould's turkey, to get your royal slam, but doves? Oops, nevermind, I see - because you can get hundreds instead of dozens. But whose gonna clean all those?

My Dad and the Guys on my block do this sometimes... I try to find out the name of his outfitter. They leave Houston in a Great Big bus that is outfitted with everything you can think of and from what I here it can be alot of fun if you stay away from the "Woman of ill reprute" and Stay Sober and stay away from all the other crazyness that "can" go on in Mexico.
This year we ended up getting a guided hunt out of Hondo and he told me it's nothing like Mexico was for Doves and Hondo was the most doves I've ever seen at one time I went through a TON of shells.

Back