Double Trigger Mauser

rballi

Regular Mauser Sporter, or, Diamond in the rough?

The story starts out with a friend of mine telling me that his brother had a '357 Roberts' rifle with two triggers. I told him it probably was a '257' Roberts. He said he thought it was a Winchester Model 70. Will the light went on in my head, I got his phone number and gave him a call. I asked him about the front sight and he said there were no screws in it and it looks like part of the barrel, and, the barrel has a hump in it about 2/3 the what back.

I got his address and went to go see the gun. Well, it's a Mauser action with an early Pre-64 (I think) Winchester Model 70 step taper barrel, Buehler Safety, Double Set Triggers, and Monte Carlo stock with a Schnabel Forend. The gun was crying out for me to save it (it's in shooter condition),so, with some horse trading, it's now mine (and in pieces).

Help me ID please. Under the scope mount it has Fabrica De Armas, I'll remove the scope mount later and see if there is anything else under it. The bolt release has a diamond with a 'T' or cross in it. The safety says Buehler on it. The barrel is a humped 257 Roberts Model 70 with the soldered on front sight. The stock appears to be walnut and the trigger guard is pointed in front and has double set triggers. I should have taken 'before' pictures, and might just put it back together just for pics.

I took it to a couple of gunsmiths and a gunshop owner and they said it was put togher right and looks like a nice shooter. The gunshop owner wanted to buy it on the spot. I cleaned the barrel and you can still see the square part of where the lands start in the throat; the rifling is sharp all the way out the top. I think the barrel is the old blackened stainless that Winchester used to used.

I'm guessing the gun was really really nice in it's day, and, someone spent some money on it. Any idea what it's worth as is, or refinished? The stock has some dings in it, the barrel is great inside, but faded/worn on the outside, the action needs to be fully cleaned and polished *(tips on bolt dissasembly needed)*, the triggers are in good working order. I don't know what to do about the blackened stainless; polish it out, or re-black it. Serial number is in the 60,000 range with a 'P' at the end, ie- 60500P

Comments, info, and questions are appreciated.

Roy

I took off the scope base and the top of the receiver says (in a semi circle) Fabrica Nacional De Armas, over the Mexican Crest (I think), and under the crest is Mexico D.F. 1944. So, what is/was it? Will it stand up to a 257 Roberts round?

I'm pretty sure the barrel is blackened stainless steel; I tested two types of cold blue to see if it would take, it didn't stick at all. I'm thinking of bead blasting the barrel to a matte finish, polishing the bolt, and not sure about the rest. I might make it a two tone and blue the receiver and nickel the trigger guard. Who knows.

Roy

I am kind of like Will Rogers on this one, all I know is what I read. You appear to have a Mexican Mauser, model of 1936. This was a Mexican made short action of Mauser design except for a Springfield style cocking knob on the striker (Apparently cut off yours when the scope safety was installed.) They were tailored to 7x57 Mauser as had been used by Mexico since 1895. W.H.B. Smith said they were well made of good materials. When they were more available they were very popular for making up light sporters like yours. Since the .257 Roberts is just a 7x57 necked down to .25 and loaded to about the same pressure, it is just about an ideal combination, no worry about it standing up. There are some +P .257 Roberts loads that are a bit hotter but still no more than .30-06 and Mexico later made a similar long action rifle in that caliber.

I have heard of Winchester making barrels out of stainless, iron plating them, then bluing. Obviously the iron plating will wear off soon after the blue goes. A matte stainless finish would do, or you could have it finished over all in one of the baked coatings. Those look ok when well done.

I think you have a neat example of what could be done by a knowlegeable gunsmith scrounging stuff before Brownells was so big. No idea of a dollar value. It is either a one of a kind custom rifle or no-name sporterized south of the border surplus, depending on how you look at it.

Back