Double Tap?

Double Tap, is what tactical units are trained, two to the chest real quick like, actually, i have heard that military entry units are trained 2 to the chest and one to the head, garuntees they are going down, just what i have heard, i hope someone wiser can help me out with this one.

It is hard to explain but easier to demonstrate. But basically when you shoot you normally fire single rds at a slow pace for accuracy. like this boom.........
boom.........boom etc. When you double tap it is two rds fired right after another in what we call rapid succesion. putting two rds on target as fast and as accurate as possible. like this boomboom......boomboom..... That is what i consider double tapping. Some others say that it is when you put two in the chest and one in the head. like we do in the military which is no longer allowed for some reason or another, That is how my first squad leader and others explained it to me. I guess the liberals think that war and killing is supposed to be pretty, and we have to play nice. But in my personel experiene the head is too small of a target and much easier to get well placed shots in center mass. very raerly should you shot for the head unless that is that is exposed.

Some may refer to it as a controled pair. It's what has already been stated. Two rapid shots to the target area as fast and controled as possiable. I wouldnt worry to much about it at first.

For the life of me, I cannot double tap...A friend was trying to show me this with his Colt...went through maybe 4 magazines... :confused:

In PC speak I guess I'm RSD, Rapid Succession Deficient...maybe I can start or find a support group ? :D

There IS a difference between a controled pair & a double tap.

Controled pair = 2 quick shots with two sight piecures.

Double Tap = 2 quick shots with one sight picture.

its one to the center of mass, and then one to the head....... or is it one to the head, and one to center of mass? hmmmmmmmmmm nope, maybe its two to center of mass, and , well that leaves out the head shot. Lets try for the triple tap instead :)

how bout them mozambiques! a double tap followed by an aimed quick shot to the chops.

Um, nope. It is traditionally called 2 to the chest and one to the head, not the chops. Even then, to the head is too vague. It needs to be to the cranium for CNS disruption of the brain. Shooting the mouth won't do necessarily.

its one to the center of mass, and then one to the head.

No.

Double Tap, is what tactical units are trained,
It not just tactical units that are trained in this. Many gun schools teach this as well. Some tactical units and some gun schools do not feel that a double tap is a reasonable shooting strategy for all people in all situations.

Double tapping was also a euphemism for anchor or safety shots on down targets as you went through the objective. The terms normally used in training these days are HP or CP vice the double tap, since there are times the standard training has you do a CP and times you do a HP.

umm with chops you get the idea..did I really have to spell it out that its driving say a 230 grain hollowpoint into somebodies forehead... :eek:

"...somebodies forehead."

Not here either. Try the triangle defined by the outer edfges of the eyes and the tip of the nose. This is a very weak portion of the skull, and has a lot of holes in the bone to boot. Cranio-ocular is one term.

Try the triangle defined by the outer edfges of the eyes and the tip of the nose. This is a very weak portion of the skull, and has a lot of holes in the bone to boot. Cranio-ocular is one term.

Correct. Brow to bridge of nose.

And in theory, shots placed in this region should cause instanteous and total neuro-muscular shutdown -- no flinching, twitching, tightening of the trigger finger on the gun pointed at you or a hostage, etc....just plain 'ole lights out.

But I wouldn't waste time trying for this until you can successfully put two or more rapid shots to center mass consistently. Then add the "shut down" shot to part of your training drills.

Of course, there are times where "center mass" may only be the intruder's grape as he comes around the corner and that's where this shot has practical application.

Two to center mass or chest, and one to the head is commonly refered to as a "Body Armor Drill", at least where I'm from it is. We have to shoot a series of them as part of my Dept's qual course.
As far as head shots go I've always been told to aim for tip of the nose. I've never tried it, but It's supposed to cause a imeddiate CNS (Central Nervous System) shutdown.

The 2 to the chest 1 to head, is now called either drill of a failure to stop drill, the term "Mozambique Drill" has kind of fallen from favor because, the term has a racist connotation in a few peoples' eyes. Specifically many fighting in the area at the time would say the "T's" were so dumb that they didn't know they were dead by mere chest shots so you had to follow it with a head shot. Like it our not that is why it less than favored term today.

I dont shoot without having a sight picture...unless it's at about 7 yards. Once i get past that, there is no point in shooting without a very very quick sight picture. I'd rather take an extra tenth of a second to get a sight picture, than to fire another rapid round and not be assured it's going where i want it to go. Your can form your own opinion.

**Forgot to add: unless i've been blinded for some reason, then i'll pull the trigger as fast as possible.

We call the controlled pair / double tap and one to the head a Failure drill. Mainly because, like mentioned earlier, if the enemy is wearing body armor the two to the chest wont stop him. We also do the reverse failure drill which is two to the chest and one to the hip / groin area. If you cant hit him in the head for whatever reason, a shot to the hip will drop him and he'll eventually bleed out. Depending on your situation, you'll either finish him off or move on.

Back