Double Tap in 45 acp . . .

Prof Young

So I've been looking for something chambered in 45 acp that is not a 1911. Have had a lot of great suggestions (see post in semi auto forum). I think I assumed it would be a semi auto.

Well, the local LGS has a double tap in 45 acp. Now before anyone gets all riled up . . . THIS WILL BE A RANGE TOY NOT A CARRY GUN. :-)

If you have one or have shot one, please talk to me.

I suspect it is hard on the hands, but that may not be enough to slow me down. They want $468 for it. I think it's used.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Ridiculous. Put the same money down for a Charter Arms Pitbull and have something that will still hurt your hand, but at least potentially have some practical value, even though it’s a range toy.

Having tried one I can without hesitation say DON'T do it. I like my .44 mag & 45's but the DT is the most painful thing I've ever had the pleasure of trying. Seriously it isn't a range gun.

Save your money & get something you will really enjoy because this isn't it!!

Good advice from all those that posted above.
Don't get it.
Unless you want to.
My friend bought a Mossberg 12 gauge 590 Shockwave...the shorty pistol grip "non-shotgun".
"I went full retard on that one," he's admitted, but he said it with a smile and now he knows about the thing (and so do I, he let me shoot a few rounds thru it...something I'm not sure I'll ever do again) and he's got stories to tell.
As you say, 'life is good', but as we get on we find it shorter than we'd like.
Good luck.

My main concern is that it would wind up being more of a project gun than a range toy.

But if your not planning on using it for defensive purposes, you understand what your getting into, and you like it, go for it.

a bond arms derringer with large grips is absolutely no fun in 45acp. anything smaller can only be worse.

Hmmm . . . Okay.

Okay. I'm convinced to pass on this one.

Tell me about the Charter Arms Pitbull.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Good decision! Another you should consider if you can find one would be a S&W Model 25!!
Available in 45 acp & 45 LC.

IMO the Charter Arms pitbull was made to carry a lot and shoot a little. 5 shot inexpensive revolver chambered in .44 special.
I have not owned one, IMO rather largish for a carry piece.

Sig P220. Great range toy and if you ever do decide you'll carry it, good for that, too.

--Wag--

IMO the Charter Arms pitbull was made to carry a lot and shoot a little. 5 shot inexpensive revolver chambered in .44 special.
I have not owned one, IMO rather largish for a carry piece.
The Pitbull is not an inexpensive revolver, at least I don’t consider $500 to be inexpensive. Also not 44 Special, it is 45 ACP. Doesn’t use moon clips, has an ejector that works with the rimless cartridge. It is smaller than the Charter Bulldog (the 44 Special) New Charter pistols are pretty well made with good customer service if you did have a problem.
https://charterfirearms.com/collections/pitbull/45-acp

Gunbroker has a used Pitbull in 45 going for $275 right now. There's a brand new one for $333 with a buy it now price of $499.

I have a S&W Nightguard 45 which is a light weight N frame and it has plenty of recoil. I would never want to even try a Doubletap.

The Pitbull is a revolver I'd like to own someday.

If you want a range toy in 45acp, a S&W 25-2 would be a lot of fun to shoot and allow you to easily keep you brass for reloading

I would go for the m25-2. I good investment and a worthy accurate revolver. Charter Arms are second rate firearms. You get what you pay for. My boy got out of school back in 80s when this area was hard hit with shutdowns. He decided to go to police school. I sold ammo, targets and misc to the police school. My boy could ruin a bowling ball in a padded room when he was a teen. So I bought a new CA Police Bulldog 4” for the boy. 1st range day he came home with a message for me from head instructor. I won’t go into exact wording but was a threat If I didn’t send kid back with decent gun. Next day he had one of my 4” m19s and lived happily ever after. There is no second place firearms. If it’s not quality it’s a toy.

I was reminded

Charter is not the same company today. The old Charter arms revolvers were of questionable quality. IMO, they worked to be carried a lot and shot a little. I don't have an opinion on the new Charter arms guns.

The older 44 Specials are the best ones. Ours shoots very straight, and is fun to shoot. I reload for it using AA5 or IMR Blue so I can tailor the loads. The 240gr flat point is what Ive been using.

I believe that the Double Tap and guns like it are intended to be used twice. Once when you get it, to ensure it works, and after that, only fired at extreme need.

Small, flat, light in a service class cartridge = heavy recoil. There's no free lunch.

Rudimentary sights, a 12lb trigger and barrels not regulated to a single point of impact means you won't get much accuracy, but considering what the gun is meant to do, you don't need much.

Carried (alot?) and used only at dire need, at arms length (or less!) I see it as the pistol equivalent of a punch dagger, not useful for much else but adequate for its intended purpose.

For a non-1911 pattern .45ACP (one that you can actually shoot often) I have 3. A Browning BDA 45 (Sig P220 early version) which I think is an outstandingly good semi auto pistol, a Ruger new model Blackhawk in .45 convertible, and a 1917 Webley Mk VI that someone (barely) shaved to allow it to use .45acp BRASS. .45acp AMMO is too hot for that gun.

My Blackhawk using the ACP cylinder is fun, turns the .45acp into a tame mild recoiling round, is as accurate as I am (and the gun has adjustable sights) and you only pick up your fired brass off the ground if you drop it, :D

Downside? large heavy SA revolver (if that matters) and for me, since it also runs the .45 Colt, it almost never gets used with acp ammo.

Looks a modern style Remington Double Derringer. Prefer the traditional version myself. Used in its intended tactical niche-a belly gun or card table distance-it will do.

Back