Double Feed, Walther PPK

throttleup

Does anyone have a good method for quickly clearing a double feed on a Walther PPK? Since there is no way to externally lock the slide back, it appears to require three hands. Left hand holds the slide to the rear, right thumb pushes the magazine release button and call a friend to pull out the magazine?

With the front sight pressed against a solid bench top, push the pistol against the bench top to push the slide rearward. And press the mag release with the same hand that is pushing the pistol against the bench top.

You other hand is free to pull the magazine.

I just tried this and it works. Nw, if I explained the process well enough is the question.

Good Luck

On some guns, "some" meaning, I don't know if it works on the PPK, holding the magazine catch in the depressed position, while racking the slide twice, will clear it.

PPK

I have a WW II PP.

Does your trigger guide pull down and lock slightly off center? If so, pull the slide back and pull the trigger guide down and to the side. This will hold the slide back and locked.

I have a WW II PP.

Does your trigger guide pull down and lock slightly off center? If so, pull the slide back and pull the trigger guide down and to the side. This will hold the slide back and locked.
That's a neat trick and easy to do !
Thanks for posting , I have a WWII PPK !
Gary

Thank you all, I appreciate your suggestions. Obviously some are easier to do than others. Hope I never have to clear a double feed with a PPK in the middle of life threatening confrontation.

better question

Why is the PPK "double feeding" ? Not to be snarky, but what exactly is a "double feed"? If the PPK is exhibiting a tendency to fail consistently, I'd consider addressing the problem and not solving the resultant symptom.

First thing I'd do is detail strip and clean and lube....I mean an armorer's takedown. Then fire and evaluate. A new mag and ammo would be another step at this point. Many auto pistol issues are traced to ammo, lube or mag problems.

If the problem persists, determine what type of "jam" is occurring:
-fail to feed
-fail to extract
-fail to eject

Worn or weak mag spring, recoil spring, extractor or ejector can contribute to any of the 3 above.

"Double feed" has been used two ways.
In my book it is where a live round gets started in the chamber and another pops out of the magazine behind it.

Internet double feed is more often a failure to extract with a live round coming up behind a fired case.

Which?

In my book it is where a live round gets started in the chamber and another pops out of the magazine behind it.
This is a double feed. Not ejecting the fired empty before the next round feeds into it is not a double feed, its a failure to eject properly.

With an actual double feed, the most common reason is the magazine, and its the first thing to replace in the trouble shooting process.

I don't have a PPK, so can't be sure but the way that usually works is to dump the mag from the gun, (pull it out by hand, if needed) THEN work the slide (locking it back if the gun allows for it) and let the rounds fall out, or pry them out if you have to.

IF changing out the magazine for one known to be in good working condition doesn't prevent double feeds, the gun should be removed from service use, and its time for a trip to the gunsmith.

The fastest way is to drop the mag and rack the slide. The mag can go in your pocket or on the ground depending if you're standing or kneeling.

Hope I never have to clear a double feed with a PPK in the middle of life threatening confrontation.
I hope you don't too, and one way to help make your hope come true is to stop carrying a PPK that is double-feeding.

As mentioned, that's a problem that needs to be corrected. Fortunately, it's probably not the gun, it's probably the magazine. But you need to get it figured out and corrected before you rely on the gun for self-defense.

Back