double barrel shotgun modification

longspurr

Stoger coach gun. I bought this last year at a gun show thinking I might try SASS. Trying it at skeet – just for fun and getting used to it – I did very poorly. I guess I'm going to stay with my Rem 1100 for skeet.

Patterning told me why I couldn't anything with the Stoger. At 25 yards the Rt barrel patterns about 5” left, and the left barrel patterns 8” left. The patterns look like modified and full.

Since this is an inexpensive gun I'm looking at a bit of home gunsmithing to help this. I'm thinking of removing the brass pin front sight and trying to install a Big Dot front sight on the left side of the rib. Between the rib and left barrel. This is not drill & tap, rather epoxy or silver solder.
Question; will this hold in place? What epoxy?

2nd I can ream out a bit of the choke on the left barrel, but can I have my reamer at an angle towards the center between the barrels and cause it to throw the pattern more to the right? I'm talking of moving the pattern center 4” to 6” @ 25 yards. ???

2nd I can ream out a bit of the choke on the left barrel, but can I have my reamer at an angle towards the center between the barrels and cause it to throw the pattern more to the right? I'm talking of moving the pattern center 4” to 6” @ 25 yards. ???
I doubt that would change the POI.

It would just open up your patterns

An easy way to make it hit where you want would be to add a second bead at the rear, a little to the right of center, so when the beads are aligned it's pointing more to the right

You might have to also remove a little material from the stock to shift it over

I would say that they don't put a lot of work in registering those barrels. That really takes a lot of work, and skill to get it right, and the only way to fix that type of problem, is to de-solder the ribs, re-register the barrels, clamp everything, and solder the ribs back so the barrels are aligned for the correct point of impact. They do this on guns meant for accuracy, such as higher end bird and skeet/trap guns. Since that is a coach gun, its meant for up close and personal work.

A good gun, for the price these days, are the CZ Bobwhite and Ringneck's, as I do know they take the time with them, and they are actually pretty decent doubles. However, no double will shoot as good as one fitted to you, or any long gun really. The Rigneck uses a Greener cross-bolt breech lock, and they lock up as good as the old Greener's ever did. It's also according to if you prefer a side lock or a box lock, or a SxS or O/U.

Edit:

I thought about this a little more, and have a question. Does this gun have a middle bead? If not, that might help you, and the middle bead is smaller than the front. It may be a case of the gun being not fitted to you, and your cheek will not allow your eye to center over the rib, thus making both barrels shoot to the left. A center bead will help, and both barrels may come into a point of impact at around 30-35 yards. Eventually, you might have to have the comb of the stock lowered a little to help, or the cheek area thinned. The best would be to have it bent by a gunsmith that know how to do it, using hot oil.

Last edited:
Back