Do's an don'ts of powder coating for ES powder coating

Old 454

Dont use cheap tin foil pans for baking.. bullets melt

Dont use "non stick" foil when baking.. foil sticks to bottom of bullets

Please post your Do's and Dont's.

Mainly so i can read them and not keep asking questions like a damn retread. 0.o

Any one know how to get the pc off the baking pan. Ugggg

Don't use "non stick" foil when baking.. foil sticks to bottom of bullets

I've used non-stick foil since day one never had a problem with the bullet sticking. They are slightly tacky on the base sometimes but gentle finger pressure rolls them right over. On occasion, you will get one that pulls some foil off but it's easily removed. I probably get around 10 heat cycles before I replace the sheet mainly because it gets powder residue built up on it and starts adding other colors to the base of the bullets.

Getting ready too cure some bullets, you can see the impressions on the foil left by bullets I have previously baked.
66slWJ1.jpg

Don't use cheap tin foil pans for baking.. bullets melt

I use the baking pan that came with the toaster and line it with non-stick foil, I also use a couple thick aluminum sheets cut to fit my toaster covered with non-stick foil and a piece of ceramic tile covered with foil as well.

Last edited:
Did you use the non-stick foil with the dull side up? The side that reads "non stick side"?
I have baked quite a many a pan of sprayed ones now and they don't stick. At least not the first time you use it. I normally only get two sprays out of one before I start getting too much flashing around the base from buildup (when spraying).

Yes i used dull side up. And use the ES sprayer. ...pulled them out of oven and the first few came off no problem... the rest stuck to the sheet and had foil on bottom.

I got to figure out a better system.
The best way was just coating on the metal pan but the pc builds up and becomes useless.

I am going through a boat load of growing pains here. Lolol...
Also found out my NOE mold for 357 cast to big a bullet. Mold is .360 and add PC and there near impossible to get through a .358 sizer

I guess i will go buy a grinder head for my dremal and see if i can remove the pc from my toaster pan.

I need to find where i can get more of those little pans so i can get some good production going.

Res45 are you using shake and bake ??? .... i might have to go to that method

Mine comes off very clean. I don't know how to assess your sticking problem, as long as you are using Reynolds foil on the dull side. It perplexes me.

pan001_zpsaade057a.jpg

Now, to answer other questions that the previous picture will raise, I use little 8/32 nuts (sometimes 10/32) under the foil to raise the bullet off the pan and lessen the flashing that sticks to the sides. It does not affect the base sticking to the foil, as mine just do not do that.
But I JB-Weld these nuts to the pan so the foil falls away from the base and lessens the flashing on the base. It won't cure your sticking problem though, because that's not what it's for.

pan002_zps5eb3fb7b.jpg

But the bullets lift off cleanly and never stick to the foil.
For this tray here (in my earlier development), I just put some tiny flat washers under the foil and they weren't even glued down. It was just enough to raise the bullet so the spray powder didn't pile up against the bottom driving band.
HF018_zps668a6ac4.jpg

Ok cool.. now when you pull out of your oven.... do you just tilt the tray and they drop off ???

My tray cooled quickly and only got a few off before they stuck to the foil

Ok cool.. now when you pull out of your oven.... do you just tilt the tray and they drop off ???

No. I have to wave my hand across the tops of them and rock them to one side, then to the other and this snaps them cleanly free of the sheet. The PC on the bullets continues down the sides of the bullet and onto the sheet as one continuous (but VERY thin sheet) of polyester. Imagine if you laid a sheet of Reynolds Wrap over a tray of bullets and melted it down onto and over them with a hair dryer. The end result would be similar.

Well grinding this PC off is not an option.... this stuff is tuff as all get out.

So when i get back to work i will have the weld shop cut me 4 steel plates 9"x7" that will fit my toaster oven and i can use that non stick foil on

I mean this with all the love and respect possible, but....your a tad hard headed eh? Lol! Perhaps you are using to much powder when E.S. spraying? Not had any issue when using non stick aluminum foil.

Hmmm lolol ... pressure is set to 20lbs... i will try reducing it. I do get an occasional clump of powder.

I did buy a box O' nuts to JB weld to the steel plates.

Lolol i have been called worse then hard headed. Lmbo

Yeah I would try less pressure, I think the couple of times I ES I was using less than 10 pounds.

I would spray, shake, spray, shake. Ended up with greeeeat results.

I don't really pay much attention to what my air gauge says. I turn it up higher if the powder is spitting and blowing out clumps, and I turn it down if it is blowing powder off the tray and sandblasting the powder that was sticking to the bullets off of them. I'm not really sure what the PSI would be.;)

Ok... i will lower to 10 psi.... and go up.... yea i shake an spray ... but i do see a clump.of powder belch out on occasion

Back