Don Hume holsters

Polglock

I just got a don Hume holster for my colt mustang and was wondering is there any kind of treatment or dressing to put on the inside. When I holster and upholster the gun all the reddish leather from the holster is all over the gun. Pieces of card board like leather all over it. It drives me crazy because I like tonkeepnmy guns veeeery clean.

It's going to be self-correcting, to an extent, as the high points on the gun will wear the little leather bits first. You can accelerate the process by doing 500 practice draws, clean the gun thoroughly, and you won't have much clean-up in the future.

Put nothing on it. Simply put your gun in it a few times (or a few dozen)and it will clean those little pieces out through the friction. In no time at all they will all be gone.

I don't care for Hume holsters, but I like their belt I've got on (for about 12 years :D).

Ensure holster debris is no longer present before wearing gun-n-holster socially.

An old method, but still good, though somewhat messy.

Make a mixture of neatsfoot oil and graphite and rub into the inside of the holster. Holster and draw several times then let dry. Clean out inside with paper towels and clean the mess off your gun.

This was a method I learned from reading Charles Askins many years ago, and it still works.

Here is one of my favorite holsters for a DA revolver, a Don Hume H171OT:

Bob Wright

I'd keep neatsfoot oil away from an expensive, finely boned holster (which the Hume is not). Neatsfoot breaks down the leather and softens it, and that's the last thing you want in a precisely fitted holster.

I don't experience anything like that in mine. :confused:

j7okPSql.jpg

Back