Dominant eye question

sar

I have been trying to keep both eyes open when shooting after years of closing left eye and using my dominant right eye. Whenever I tried both eyes open and aim with the right eye, I couldn't focus. However, today at the range I kept both eyes open and tilted my head and used my left eye to aim. I found this very comfortable and I had no problem focusing. Anyone else do this?

About half smart-mouth: Have you had your eyes checked out, lately? :) Seriously, I don't think the issue of "focus" has much to do with which eye is dominant. It sounds like something ain't right, somewhere. Are you positive about your right eye being dominant?

(I gotta deal with tri-focals, myownself...)

Darned if I know,

Art

I'm left-eye dominant and right handed. The left eye dominance has only been an issue when I was shooting trap. For pistol I need to wear one of those peep-sight style discs on my glasses, and I put it on the right lens. I also close the left eye. For "combat style" shooting it's both eyes open.

Dick

sar: As Art indicated, it sounds like you are actually left-eye dominant. I am the same and right-handed, and the way you described your focused shooting is exactly how I have to shoot: head tilted, "aiming" with left eye. If it works, go with it!

My brother has that problem and it seems to work just fine for him. It just drives me nuts watchng him shoot a rifle like that though.:) Needless to say with a hand gun you would never know he is aiming with the left eye.

Prof: maybe you are right about me being left eye dominant but every test i've given myself I come out right eye dominant. When I partially close the left eye it works well for me using the right to aim. But if I fully open the left and try to see the front sight I get a double vision and a headache. Thanks for all the input guys, this is one of the few places to discuss the fine points of shooting and not just brand and caliber.

Sar, try this (if you haven't already)

Hold both arms straight out with your fingers up, thumbs pointed at each other, and both palms away from you. Now tilt you fingers in toward each other and overlap you fingers and thumbs. With your hands together, it should make a little hole in the web between your pointer fingers and your thumbs.

Now pick an object off in the distance, that is small enough that you can see it through this hole. With both eyes open, draw your hands closer to your face while keeping the object in the center of this hole. You will nautrally draw your hands to your dominant eye.

Hope this helps!

-Red-

Back