Doing my part to support the local economy: got a Kel-Tec .32

Amelia

Some women go shopping and buy shoes. I like to be different. I have a black plastic fetish!

This my third purchase in as many months (the others are my beloved Glock 19 and 26). Is there a support group for this problem? A treatment? A cure?

Other folks go to the local gun shop to "hang out." I go there and buy guns! What's up with that?!

The gun-of-the-month for March, if anyone asks, is the Kel-Tec .32

keltec32.jpg

Clearly, I need some therapy. I'll have to go to the range.

I know nothing about mouse guns. How should I carry this thing?

Vandy has it right about the Hedley holsters. If you are going to carry in your purse you would need to get something else though.

Oooooh.

I remember when you were wondering what to buy for your first. I hope you like your P32 as much as I do mine. I think you need either a 1911 or a .38/.357 snubbie next. When are you planning to purchase your first shotgun or carbine?

Seriously,

Ledbetter

Ledbetter, is this illness I have acquired terminal?

re: shotgun, I want some short of 20 gauge youth model, but I am seriously trying to limit myself to one gun a month. :) I shot a new 12 gauge and a 20 gauge youth model in late november. The 12 gauge was so much longer that i could hardly reach the trigger, i'm a midget, ya know! I haven't learned any more about shotguns since. I'm afraid if i do, i will want to go buy one post haste!

Politically Incorrect: Places i hang out in no particular order: My church, the aquatic center, any beach when possible, in my convertible, TFL, GT, and gunspot... ICQ, the occassional Rook tournament, IDPA matches... :)

alamo, i never carry a purse, too easy to lose it or misplace it, too easy to be tempted to carry a bunch of junk around that i don't need, and it's bad for your back and shoulder. :) I do have a coronadoleather.com backpack that i use for alternate carry now and then, but never a purse.

I hope to go shoot the 32 for the first time this afternoon. :)

vandy, thanks for the links. :)

Amelia can't be real... the perfect woman doesn't exist :D I mean, come on... a Professor, who LIKES computers, HANGS out at the beach, AND buys one gun a month!!! :confused: I am kidding of course...

As small as the P32 is, there are a few options often discussed when it comes to women and carry. There's Gunslinger's Bellyband, the SmartCarry holster, and you already nixed the purse one.

Pocket carry is nice, and I have to plug fellow KTOG'ers idea of modifying an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster to carry a spare mag! http://www.ktog.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000224.html
At under $10, everyone with a P32 should own one of these, just in case you ever needed one ;)
I just ordered my Hedley back pocket holster, but I don't know if you wanna look like you're toting a wallet in your back pocket.

I second the KTOG suggestion as well... very handy info on the KTP32.

Check out the shotgun forum here at TFL

You can't shoot trap or skeet with a Glock. Many shotguns are available with shorter stocks to accomodate midgets, or the insides of police cruisers. There is no more versatile or effective weapon than the 12 gauge shotgun. You can shoot anything from birdshot to 1 oz. slugs of lead. And think of the fun of shooting at flying targets that turn into dust when you hit them.

Yes, it is terminal. I guarantee that you will always be able to think of one more gun you want/need, right up until your dying day, no matter how many you buy. To keep your mind off it, go buy a CZ-75 or a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Or a Ruger .22 for cheap target practice. Or an AR-15, hell you live in Alabama. I can't own one where I live. :(

Regards, and nice web page you have there,

Ledbetter

Amelia,

Congrats on the P-32. Great little gun. If you really are a professor, don't forget to take it out of your pocket before you head to campus! The thing is so small and light you might just "discover" it in your pocket someday when reaching for your library card! ;)

Shotgun? Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20 gauge. Kids in hunter safety classes find it reasonable both in terms of size and recoil. Should work well for a "petite" female.

I'd like to suggest taking a look at the Beretta AL391 Urika Youth 20 guage. It's at the bottom of the page

http://www.beretta.com/fucili/field/AL391UrikaA.htm

A nice, soft-shooting, gas-operated autoloader with a great reputation.

And the Kel-Tec $20 exchange, if you haven't run across it. You mail them the money, slide, barrel, takedown pin and the little piece dovetailed under the muzzle. They mail back replacement pieces in a matte hard chrome finish. KTOG has the details.

John

I was part of the one gun a month club until I ran out of funds. I picked up a .40 caliber CZ-75, S&W snub nosed .44 Magnum, a Taurus Titanium .357 (later sold), a used 10/22 .22 winmag (planning to sell later), a used Tec-9 (I bought from a friend and then sold it back to him a month later for the same price), and I believe then, my money was running low.

My friends began to really worry about my condition. Some thought I was nuts, and others thought I could never find a woman because she would never understand my passion. (And it is difficult to find such women.)

Then I went out and bought a Mini-14 Ranch rifle on a whim, and I swore that it was my last firearm purchase for awhile.

A month and a half later, I ended up with a loaded Springfield 1911-A1 because "It was on sale!" :D I feel so guilty that I haven't told most of my friends that I bought it.

The pastor at the church I attend is also into guns and we've talked for a couple hours on firearms and self-defense. He's interested in the Mini-14.

Of course, if I sell any gun, I keep the money in my gun safe so I make sure I use it to buy another firearm instead of wasting it on rent, the electric bill, or other necessities. :)

Amelia,

I think you will enjoy your P-32 immensely. I have one with a sinfully low SN (I have two Kel-Tecs w/ SN's under 150!).

Pocket carry works well for me, but it depends on how you dress. The '32 is very light and flat, but as you see, it is fairly wide. Some folk use the Kel-Tec clip, but I don't think it works very well on the 32.

9x19, you're making me drool. Stop it! :D

Legionnaire,
Because I am in her class, I must support Amelia's claim as a professor. She is great; it's hard to find a gun-lover in academia!

Amelia,

Congratulations on the acquisition of your Amazing Spitwad(tm)! My wife got one for Xmas. The little spring clip works well if you have a small empty pocket inside your purse. It also goes well inside the waistband, but wear an undershirt or the grip checkering will remove layers of skin.

First range report...

I took the keltec out shooting for the first time on Friday. I shot 30 rounds through it and my neighbor shot about 10. No misfires, no malfunctions, no problems 'cept trying to get used to the weird weird weird (read "something very different from my glocks") trigger pull.

However, from close range, 4 or 5 yards or less, it shot great. I missed the target on the first shots but after that it was pretty awesome. :D

Here are the targets http://www.webprofessor.org/photos/glock/keltec/targets9mar2001.jpg (the middle one isn't the keltec but the Glock 26). all from ridiculously close range, of course, as that's what I figure the .32 would be used for and not much else.

If Walmart has .32 ammo, and if I can talk someone into going shooting with me, I will run some more though it today. :)

Thanks, gusmack. But... don't be reading this during class! :o

Whew! I was holding my breath hoping yours came reliable right out of the box. I'll take a few breaths and wait for your second report. I love my P32 and have never had even a slight bobble. The trigger is wicked, although I can now keep it in the paint at 7 yards (takes some practice though). My friend, who is a great shot, hit the dirt on the first three shots...boy was he miffed. The next four were on the target, although you could barely call it a "group". The next magazine he had a pretty nice group, and started to like it a bit more. I am confident enough now to carry it over half of the time.

Nice shade of blue you were turning...

Well, Cruzer, we'll have to wait a bit longer... Walmart was out of .32 and in any event no one wants to go shooting with me today. :(

I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of malfunctions Friday. I'll put a few hundred through it and then we can compare some more. :)

Back