Doing it in the dark

ZeSpectre

Now this is intended as lighthearted...so let's keep it that way okay?!

with regards to firearms training how much time have you spent in the dark?

Above and beyond low light movement and shooting scenarios, have you ever tried to....
-identify and insert the proper magazine
-load rounds into a magazine
-reload a revolver? a shotgun? (practiced with dummy rounds of course)
-identify and clear a jam
-determine the state of readiness of a firearm
-emergency change the batteries in a tactical light (or laser)
-re-holster

Yeah several of these aren't things you'd want to try in a true emergency but I have at least attempted all of these and more in semi or total darkness before (with dummy rounds and full safety precautions) just to see what happens.

PS - shortly after the "emergency battery change" test I dumped my cheap tac-light for a surefire :D

Place those sleep eye covers on and practice with a EMPTY FIREARM
All you stated can be done with practice and quite fun specially if someone is watching.
I have done this and it takes practice to do all this stuff with out looking

Last edited:
What do you mean by "determine the state of readiness of a firearm"

Is it loaded/ready to fire.
For example with a revolver you pop the cylinder and feel for rounds in the chambers and then close. A mag check and "press check" with a semi-auto is tougher in darkness but there are techniques.

The few times I've tried a "blackout" reload of an 870 shotgun (with snap caps) I've screwed it up every time. Seems like it should be so simple but I sure don't have the knack. No issues with my Mossberg though, how weird is that?

ZeSpectre,

I have practiced all of the above except changing batteries. But my practice has dropped way off in the last decade or so.

Practice in low light such as under a full moon is good practice. You might me surprised to discover how much you can see, identify and shoot fast and accurately. Practice in even less light with a tactical light is good too.

I feel confident in my muscle memory and have gone thru clearing,reloads, and shooting with my eyes closed.:eek:
I have shot many rounds drawing from a holster and firing at short range, 15-20 feet while only using instinct and memory, with very bad results as far as the targets were concerned.
I'm not talking all center mass by any means, however the target would be in severe need of patching:D
Sometimes you will be surprised what your "minds eye" can see;)

I always make sure my weapons are loaded and checked before it ever gets dark.

I can do this in the dark, but why if I can do it earlier?

In my home, firearms outside of a safe are loaded/ready to go (always).

Checking a firearms state of readiness?? come on guys, its not a spec-op mission. :) Cant we just say "check if its loaded"?

Last edited:
I follow the 7 P's, "Prior proper performance prevents *&^^% poor performance". I know my gun's status at all times. Yes, I can do a dead of night reload to an empty gun that I carry in short order.

Back