dog shoots man

Status
Not open for further replies.

skizzums

I admit to not having the facts of this incident. Man is trying to help someone on side of road,going for something in the fron seat, he orders his dog to the back seat, where it steps on a rifle and it discharges a bullet into the man's arm.

There are many reason not to keep a chambered rifle in your car, although dogs not being on the top of my list. First reason would be someone breaking into your car and having a chamber rifle with the safety off. Second would be a car accident, having enough inertia to have a floating firing pin hit the bullet with, way more than enough, force to ingnite a primer. I don't wanna get t boned and shoot the other driver at the same time. Third, objects in the car could be rolling around back seat possibly hitting trigger.

So what else is there. I know I double check my chambers before putting in the trunk. Does anyone here have a scenario where you need a cocked and locked rifle in the car? Am I missing something?

Wow. That's a first.

I agree that having a loaded chambered rifle is not the best idea. I'm not much of a fan o keeping any gun stored in a car for any period of time, but then again I live in a moderate crime urban area. I can imagine it would be no problem in many rural settings.

Just don't keep one in the pipe, safety off, with your dog jumping around on the gun! :D

Same in most states, illegal enough to get your gun confiscated, maybe the car, too, and a mandatory court appearance for a serious misdemeanor or felony.

robhof

There's a youtube video of a pig farmer with a rifle, herding piglets away from the mother and puts down the rifle to start removing the piglets, mother rushes the gun and starts attacking it til it goes off. There are at least 3 verified incidents of hunters dropping rifles from their tree stand and being shot by their own rifle. one while was in Louisiana in the 80's. Hunter was found in stand 2 days after he left for a day of hunting, headlines in local paper at the time!:confused::mad::eek:

Yeah, dogs shoot people every 2 or 3 years...if you follow hunting incident reports. It is always the hunter's fault.

Yeah, people should not carry around loaded guns. Who would ever do such a thing? ;)

Any time a toddler or animal pulls the trigger I'm suspicious

Not impossible, but in both cases, it seems like an irresponsible gun owner has an excuse to get him/her off the hook.

Makes you wonder about the "man's best friend" title.

Many many years ago a cousin was shot when her dog jumped on the bed and set off the gun that was kept under a pillow. Luckily it was not a serious injury.

whether or not illegal...

it is not at all right to leave a firearm with a round-chambered that is not in a position ( ~a safe only you can open would be one place) where it is anything but impossible to be affected by activity near or upon it.

besides, think of the poor dog's hearing
or try getting back to sleep what with your ears ringing

Fun fact, 9 out of 10 people are idiots. Rifle doesn't need to be fully loaded unless it's in your hands or some ones trying to kill you ( besides your dog ).

Some hunters do road hunt for deer {illegally or legally} in a car or truck. I think it's legal {though I'm not quite sure} to road hunt for deer --- while in back of a pick-up truck --- in certain states on private roads down south; but I've only heard stories about the tactic from a friend that used to live down in North Carolina.

Unless you are very elderly or greatly crippled, I don't consider driving around hunting, just slobs shooting at stuff.

You probably haven't spent any time doing hog and predator control on very large properties or multiple properties where vehicles replace feet for stalking over large portions of the terrain. For us, it is usually drive and spot, then stalk the last one or two hundred yards on foot. Sometimes, it is drive, spot, get out and shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back