Does this count as a pistol?

Reminds me of when a "friend" handed me his TC and wouldn't tell me what caliber it was.
One shot revealed it was a rifle round.
Big surprise.

I think in the US it would be a "sawn off shotgun" because of the reclassification issue caused by the barrel length & overall length.

It would be classified as sawn off in the US I'm sure. While legal aren't there extra fees and such for having a shorter than normal shotgun. Something about them being re-classified.

It's a lot of work but I think it's pretty cool.

I've seen people use old military surplus 12 gauge flare guns and cut out whatever it is that prevents slugs from fitting in them. That would be much easier. Probably much less legal as well if you were caught using it. Then again toss it in a tackle box with some flares and who can prove you don't carry it for emergency situations :)

edit--

I can't find the vid now, probably removed for legal reasons, but the guy using the flare gun said that it was more comfortable than a pistol grip shotgun. It had a large handle on it and maybe the super short barrel eliminated some of the recoil?

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I remember several years ago reading a news report about someone altering a flare gun to shoot 12 Gauge rounds. The report ended with the man losing the use of his right hand when the flare gun blew up.

I'd be wary about firing one.

Disclaimer: When I was younger I did many things people would possibly qualify as stupid and life threatening, such as building a .22 zip gun out of a car antennae. But I survived doing that undamaged, so I consider it more of a valuable learning experience.
So I'm feeling slightly hypocritical posting this.

Old military flare guns are metal and very strong. There are a lot of Polish made ones on the market now for some reason. Did Poland make a million flare guns in the 70s for some unknown reason or have they just held up better than other nations?

People using the cheap plastic ones at Wal-Mart may be asking for trouble.

Then again the barrel is so short I imagine the force would want to go forward and out anyway.

I wouldn't do it mind you. There's really no point. a 410 handgun is one thing but not a 12 gauge. You'd have to use weaker shells to keep it from hurting your hand and 310 has a lot of the fun defensive rounds anyway. The flying disc shells are very interesting.

IMG_1553.jpg

There's my contribution. It's as short a 12 gauge as I want to shoot. Kind of fun with birdshot, ok with tactical loads, pretty frisky with full on buckshot. 13" barrel.

"...altering a flare gun to shoot 12 Gauge rounds..." Not out of one of the plastic flare guns.
"...this count as a pistol?..." Depends on where you are. Up here, if that barrel was made in a factory or by a smithy with the right licence, it's fine. Cutting a single shot shotgun to that size is illegal.

Back