Does the firing pin double as the ejector on the Sterling .25 ACP?

Carmady

That's all I can figure, it's either that or nothing (I can see).

It different than the .22 because the .25 center fire, so the fp follower can't poke out through the center of the fp and act as the ejector.

I would presume that the following round is used to push the spent case out as there is no ejector. The tiny Seecamp also uses this method.

Delayed reaction...how does that work on the last round fired, since the mag is empty? Maybe the last casing still ejects anyway.

Been a while since I messed with one. Try this---rack the slide all the way back and
look to see if the firing pin is sticking out of the breechface. Yes? Firing pin is ejector.

How can a firing pin be an ejector?

How can a firing pin be an ejector?

How would it grab/hook the empty cartridge?

I believe it's just like my Taurus 25-PLY,,,
There is no ejector at all.

The cartridge is "blown out" of the chamber by the force of the detonation.

I don't have the terminology to explain how it happens,,,
But as long as the chamber is clean,,,
It works perfectly every time.

Aarond

Yes, the firing pin is the ejector-as it is on most .25 autos.

aarondhgraham- you are confusing ejector and extractor. The extractor pulls the cases out. The ejector causes them to be thrown from the gun.

I knew I had a terminology problem,,,

you are confusing ejector and extractor. The extractor pulls the cases out. The ejector causes them to be thrown from the gun.

I knew I had a terminology problem,,,

So the firing pin provides the pivot/lever to give the cartridge a direction to go?

I think I understand now,,,
Thanks Bill.

Aarond

Thanks everybody.

Well that means if someone were to manually function check a Sterling .25 (and others which are similar) with a mag of live ammo, the pull-back-the slide-to-eject move would result in slamming the live primer into the firing pin (ejector). Not the safest thing to do.

I don't know that the inertia of pulling back a slide compares to that of a firing pin being stuck or released.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks. A form of instant cartridge karma. The fp hits the primer, the round fires, and then the primer hits the fp back. No wonder the little suckers break.

The Sterling .25 ACP is a straight blow back operation pistol. So are most .22's. There is no explosion or detonation. The motion of the case caused by physics is what causes the empty to come out.
"...result in slamming the live primer..." Not hard enough. It takes a pretty serious whack to set off a primer.

What prompted this thread was I bought a Sterling 25 with a broken firing pin, and after cleaning it I manually cycled some live rounds through it. Their exit was less than lively, and I remembered that the Sterling 22 had a very long fp spring follower which would poke out and also act as the ejector. I looked inside the 25 and didn't see anything which looked like an ejector, so I asked here.

After fitting the new fp and installing new recoil (aka barrel) and fp springs from Numrich the Sterling 25 worked 100% for 13 rounds. So I put the old springs back in and it was 100% for another 12 rounds. That's only half a box, but that's enough to make me think it works...and I forgot to oil it before taking it to the range, which was why I shot so few. All the ejected brass landed in a fairly small area. Success. Thanks again.

Some folks commenting here seem to be confusing EJECTORS with the EXTRACTORS.

A number of the small semi-autos, nearly all of which are blow-back designs with fixed barrel, don't have extractors.

With those guns, the casing, when the round is fired, is pushed from the chamber by pressure from the expanding gases of the fired round. That's the nature of the blow-back design. (Those guns are NOT locked-breech guns, and the casing moving to the rear as the round is fired is normal and expected behavior.) Most of those guns don't need an extractor, but some of them might need an ejector.

Manually cycling these guns doesn't work as well as a gun with an extractor... as there's no pressure from the fired round to help push the round out of the chamber.

Ejectors are usually found on the frame, with the round that has been pulled or pushed from the chamber hitting the ejector as the slide moves to the rear -- causing the spent casing to fly off the breech face.

Note: because nearly all firing pins have a spring that keeps them from moving forward inertially if the gun is dropped or slammed, that spring pushes the firing pin BACK after a hammer hits it as the round is fired. For the firing pin to work as an ejector, it would need some mechanism pushing it forward again as the slide moves to the rear -- and all it really needs is something small sticking up from the frame to hit the rim of the casing as the slide moves back.. A design that makes a firing pin do hat is pretty complicated, and most of those little guns are NOT complicated.

Walt- that's ridiculous.
Most small semi autos have extractors. The only ones I can think of that don't are the Beretta and Taurus .22 & .25 pocket pistols.

I have in front of me: a Galesi .25, A Browning .25, a PSa .25, a Bernardelli .22, a Rigarmi .25, and an old Spanish copy of a Browning .25.
ALL use the firing pin as the ejector, and ALL have extractors.
I would be glad to snap a picture, but it would require 3 hands to do so.

WAIT! The wife walked by and took a picture while I held the slide back.
Striker fired guns don't use inertial firing pins-they don't need them. They are either loaded and cocked, or unloaded and uncocked.

My Astra Cub has an extractor and a frame-mounted ejector-as do my Llama .25 & .22 short pistols..

Attachments

• IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 31
Bill DeShivs said:
...Most small semi autos have extractors. The only ones I can think of that don't are the Beretta and Taurus .22 & .25 pocket pistols.

The comment to which you were originally responding was that "a number of the small semi-autos, nearly all of which are blow-back designs with fixed barrel, don't have extractors." I said a number of the small semi-autos -- not all of them.

Bill DeShivs said:
I have in front of me: a Galesi .25, A Browning .25, a PSa .25, a Bernardelli .22, a Rigarmi .25, and an old Spanish copy of a Browning .25.
ALL use the firing pin as the ejector, and ALL have extractors.

You were right about the firing pin working as an ejector with the gun in question and the other guns cited. That was my error and oversight.

Bill DeShivs said:
Striker fired guns don't use inertial firing pins-they don't need them. They are either loaded and cocked, or unloaded and uncocked.

Striker designs aren't as simple as you state... And I didn't mention striker-fired guns because there are darned few striker-fired pocket guns.

Of the small striker-fired pocket guns I'm familiar with -- the striker-fired .380 Glock 42 has an extractor and an ejector on the trigger housing (i.e, it's frame-mounted). The 9mm striker-fired Ruger LC9s also has an extractor and ejector. Both of these guns are locked breech designs.

• Some striker design have a striker spring that is fully tensioned by slide movement when a round is chambered; the trigger simply releases the striker. If the round doesn't go off, the slide must be moved to reset the striker.

• Others striker design have the striker spring only partially tensioned by slide movement; the trigger pull finishes the tensioning process and releases the striker. The Glock 42 works this way, as does the Ruger LC9s.

• A few striker-fired guns are true double-action-only designs, with the trigger pull fully tensioning and releasing the striker. But darned few pocket guns have DAO striker mechanisms.

• Walther has made a number of striker-fired guns with striker springs that are partially tensioned by slide movement, with the tensioning completed and released by a trigger pull. But the triggers of these guns can also fully tension and release the striker if the round doesn't fire -- a true second-strike capability.

Striker-fired pocket guns:
Browning .25, Browning .32 &.380. Bernardelli, Galesi, Rigarmi, Colt, LeFrancais (no extractor!), Walther 8, Walther 9, Sterling, MAB, Bryco, Raven, Jennings, CZ, as well as many lesser-known brands.
They all use extractors, too.

Back