Does Ruger still make a No. 1 in .45-70?

Sig_Dude

Checked the web site, could not seem to find it. I thought this was a very popular No. 1 caliber. Anybody know if it is still available?

Thanks.

Many of the #1 rifles are not in continuous production. Instead they are made in batches.Some now are handled by special dealers only [seen on the Ruger site]. Keep searching.

Thanks.

I'll check around.

I just emailed Ruger, asking them when the next run is. Who knows, maybe they'll tell me, if they know.

Generally, the No1 is largely out of production, aside from an occasional specially-commissioned distributor run.
Denis

Search by calibre shows Ruger's doesn't make any .45-70 at all. The No. 1 is listed as a Distributor Exclusive(Lipsey's) thing only.

I can't add anything in response to your question, except to say they do show up for sale. Shortly after getting the urge a month or so ago, I found one at gunbroker, new, with 26" barrel. After some fussing with it, it now looks like this and I'm quite happy so far, although I can't say I've actually "used" the gun yet except to punch a few holes in paper:

This was manufactured (according to the stamp on the box it came in) on 3/25/14, and was purchased from Faith Armory in California. Best wishes in finding one--I just wouldn't wait for Ruger to build one--I've got to think there are a few out there waiting for the right home.

Well unfortunately, as of a day or two ago, I saw NO .45-70s at gunbroker. I guess one has to basically set up a permanent search filter and keep checking. I think I have a project and a half, for years to come, to get to the point where I can shoot mine. Right now I'm having some real struggles--not a bad problem to have, since it provides ample excuse for more range time.

I know what you mean by how long it can take to get to the point where you can shoot something. I have so many open projects on my gun workbench, I need to "shoot through" a lot of stuff before I can get back to .45-70.

Well, I can make time to get to the range, but as this is the first rifle I've shot in decades and the first rifle I've ever attempted to load for, what I really meant was 'get to the point where I can hit something' with it.

My first experience out with new handloads was a real eye-opener. At 50 yds I was able get a 3" 'group' with the 325 gr loads, and honestly I think only half of that group dispersion was due to the shooter--maybe I'm giving myself too much credit. I know I anticipated on a few shots, but jeeeez, I hadn't expected a buckshot pattern even as 'first time' shooter.

At the same range with the same setup, the first 420 gr round hit at 8 o'clock 5" from the bull, the second round was at 2 o'clock, and 4" from the center. I was surprised they weren't tumbling when they hit--it's been very rare with handgun loads that I've ever seen stuff go so wild.

But, I DO like learning the hard way. :)

So I've set my goals a bit lower--now I'm not looking for small groups, I'm just looking to see if I can produce a group...at all.

Back