Does Posting on a Gun Board Increase Liability?

Stone Cold

In the event of a SD shooting, could participation on one of these boards be used to prove something in a civil proceeding?

It probably could if you were posting about your desires to go out and shoot someone...or talking about how you are a ninja trained, ex-special ops, super commando out to clean up the streets.

Rules for a happy life...

Never post anything on the internet that you would not be willing to print on the front page of the newspaper -- because that's what it is.

Never send an email to anyone that you would not be willing to allow your spouse, boss, or mom to read -- because sooner or later, one of them will.

Never put anything in writing that you would not be willing to allow your loved ones to read -- because they will go through your papers when you die.

Never put any file into the computer that you would not be willing to hand to a stranger to read or see -- because strangers will see the contents of your hard drive when your computer dies.

Never say anything over the phone that you would not want anyone else to hear -- because sure enough, your ten-year-old is probably listening on the upstairs extension.

Always remember that no matter which name you use, you really only have one reputation. Don't screw it up.

pax

In the event of a SD shooting, could participation on one of these boards be used to prove something in a civil proceeding?

If what you mean is whether something you say here or elsewhere can be used against you, the answer is of course it can.

One thing often grabbed in an investigation is the computer. It is gone through with a fine toothed comb. If you post on a forum the odds are your computer will lead them there, they will gain access, and will see every post you made.

Think about that before you post stupid things, especially jokingly, like "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" and other such nonsense.

I am really not sure why they would confiscate your computer in the event of a shooting, but I guess its always possible.

If you are involved in a shooting, part of the investigatiton will be to determine if you had a specific reason to kill that individual. If you claim you don't know the person, never saw him before, etc. - if the police have the smallest suspicion that you're lying, they'll seize most of your mail, your computer, your filed letters, look at any shipping boxes in your home to see if anything links you to that person.

Anything you post on an on-line forum is "public record" if they can read it without logging in. If your computer has stored your ID/password so you don't have to log in to a "private" forum, they can read your comments too.

When people offer advice to others like drag the body inside the doorstep, besides advocating tampering with evidence, a good prosecutor can probably find other examples of a "criminal mindset" to paint you as an unsavory type.

And just because you said "I'd shoot 'em all and let God sort them out! :)" don't expect the DA to interpret that as a tongue-in-cheek statement. He'll point to the smiley face as meaning you'd laugh at the death of others.

Evidence

Generally,

anything a litigant says is admissible if it is offered against the litigant by a party opponent (i.e. the other side) as long as it is 1) relevant to the case, and 2) not excluded by another rule of evidence. Rules of evidence vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and you would have to consult an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction you are concerned about for a reliable answer to a specific question.

Not for me it doesn't. I'm at the age where I don't say and mean something I wouldn't do.

And not just the macho stuff. If I said I didn't like full size Glocks, you can bet I won't buy one.

If I say I'll grab my wife and run away from danger like a frightened school girl you can bet I'll also do that.

The one nice thing about adhering to the truth is that you never have to worry about remembering what you said.

For example, I'm afraid to fight working cowboys.

I tend to believe that it could-- anything that you say which could be attributed to you could possibly be used against you.

But there's a point of view (which I share) that reflects the idea that you have but a few days on this planet. You can keep your mouth shut, or you can get in the game of life. Posting what you say and feel means that you can actually have a voice in the world. It could be silly. It could be meaningful. The content is up to you.

On the other hand, if your posts on the gun forum consist largely of how and when to defend yourself legally and it paints a very clear picture that you ain't shootin' nobody that don't need shootin' you can bet the DA won't bring it to anyones attention. Best make sure your defense does.

Each act of self-defense would have distinct key factors.

Even if I posted on something like "home invasion," how could I possibly comment on specifics unless I had actually lived through one?

Same with knife fighting. I sharpen knives, but I have never had to defend myself with a knife. Any comment might be based in facts, but much of the details would have to be conjecture.

In the end, the DA would have to try and convict me on "past opinions." Yikes, and some of my beliefs have changed over the past ten years.

Back