Does porting weaken the power?

notbubba

Does porting weaken the power of a snubbie .38/.357?
I have read posts on this board that say going from a 4" barrel to 2" barrel really effects the power of a .38/.357?
If that's true what about porting because I liked the ported Taurus 605 that I shot.

Yes, porting does reduce the velocity of a bullet, but not as much as might be suspected. I've heard it is around 5% with a snubby. Also the longer the barrel the less it will affect velocity. Only your chronograph knows for sure for a particular gun/ammo combo.

Thanks for the information, I went to the range today and while there I shot the range owners Taurus 606 .357 ported.
I shot some .38 Hydra-Shocks and some .357 doing point shooting.
The .38 Hydra-Shocks felt good and hit a good size group where I pointed.
The .357 had a manageable kick and a good group.
I sure wouln't want to fire it indoors with out hearing protection.:eek:

The only bad part about going to the range today was a temperature of 10 with a windchill of -10.
This global warming aint to warm.:rolleyes:

A good rule of thumb is that there is a 50fps gain/loss for every inch of barrel. So, if the section from the rear of the port(s) to the muzzle were completely removed, the loss would be proportional to the reduction in barrel length. The velocity loss from the ports would always be less than if that portion of the barrel were removed.

Jim

Back