Does one get better velocity in:

tech

When choosing a 44 mag will I get better performance(Velocity & Accuracy)in a 7.5 vs a 5 in barrel? Or is it not an issue.

thanks
Mike

"Inherent accuracy" is a function of the handgun system (firearm, ammo, marksman, etc.), while "practical accuracy" is frequently assisted by a longer sight radius. Therefore, a longer barrel that accommodates a greater sight radius is likely to improve accuracy.

Thanks Guys! I decided to go with the longer barrel. It should help with accuracy + faster bullet.

Tech, a 44magnum responds VERY well to barrel length.
I believe you made a wise decision.

BTW: What gun did you buy? (Hopefully a redhawk or super blackhawk) :D

Super Redhawk SS version. The older model. I dont know much about this pistol so any info would help.

First off: EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!!!

It will handle any factory load out there. It will also handle anything handloaded by a sane person.

IF (doubt it) you ever have a problem with it, rugers customer service is excellent.

You will come to appreciate the longer barrel for several reasons:
1. heavier gun= less felt recoil
2. longer barrel=more velocity out of a given load
3. less muzzle flip
4. much easier to shoot accurately

As for info, contact ruger they will send you a free owners manual for it.

CONVENTIONAL THINKING

The 'normal' expectation is that each extra inch of barrel gives XXfps more.

Testing is required to confirm that; some guns will shoot a given load slower.

Accuracy is not determined by barrel length, although an increased sighting plane often contributes to better operator performance.

Frankly, the difference between 5- to 7.5" is moot, because the 44 Magnum cartridge doesn't REQUIRE the possible extra few fps.

I personally find the 5.5" Redhawk to be a perfect fit for me, with its portability and handiness the deciding factors.
Used for IPSC.......and occasional carry.

WS2, this is where we differ. I use mine at 50+yds most of the time. Although I have used it for ccw a couple times, 9.5" barrel mandates cold weather carry.

Isn't it great to have the choice, though. :D

CAN'T SEE THAT FAR (ANYMORE)

Agree, easier for me to hit far with my 7.5" 357 Redhawk than my 4" GP's.

Choice is great (but NEVER say that in front of wife!)

Back