Does new cylinder call for recut forcing cone?

DirtyHarold

I had to send a revolver in to the manufacturer because the timing was off. They replaced some timing components as well as the cylinder, but they also recut the forcing cone which I found surprising. Is this standard practice for cylinder replacements? Why else might they have done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the dimensions of those particular parts, cutting the forcing cone might very well have been necessary.

Was it a Taurus by chance?

I ask, because my experience as been when the timing was bad on a few of my new Taurus, Taurus adjusted the cylinder and (a few times for me) and cut the cone because Taurus cylinder gaps can be too tight.

A bit of Taurus's binding issues come from that gap having little to no play. Heating up, crap build up, out of line parts...boom. Timing issues exacerbated/caused by the gap.

Blasphemy, but it's true.

I ask, because my experience as been when the timing was bad on a few of my new Taurus, Taurus adjusted the cylinder and (a few times for me) and cut the cone because Taurus cylinder gaps can be too tight.

A bit of Taurus's binding issues come from that gap having little to no play. Heating up, crap build up, out of line parts...boom. Timing issues exacerbated/caused by the gap.

Blasphemy, but it's true.

Negative. It was a Smith.

I had to send my 2.75" S&W M66 back due to spitting something in my face.
They recut the forcing cone and adjusted the yoke. The original revolver had only a mere suggestion of a forcing cone. The yoke was causing mis-alignment of the barrel to chamber. The forcing cone helps adjust for small alignment problems by easing the bullet into the barrel. Like a funnel.
The returned revolver preformed as it should.
In this case, I was the quality control inspector!
Others were reporting the same problem with this model.

Best,
Rick

I had to send my 2.75" S&W M66 back due to spitting something in my face.
They recut the forcing cone and adjusted the yoke. The original revolver had only a mere suggestion of a forcing cone. The yoke was causing mis-alignment of the barrel to chamber. The forcing cone helps adjust for small alignment problems by easing the bullet into the barrel. Like a funnel.
The returned revolver preformed as it should.
In this case, I was the quality control inspector!
Others were reporting the same problem with this model.

Best,
Rick

I mentioned it spit jacketing once but I don’t think the problem was with the forcing cone it was with the timing.

I’m just worried accuracy or velocity will be compromised.

Obviously can happen !!!

I know it happens but not aware of the motivation for a factory to do so, unless they find a problem that was not expected. ….. :confused:

In the one case I encountered, many years ago, Mine was a Taurus and the initial problem was that the barrel was canted/ "clocked". When it was returned, I noticed that the cone was machined and not finished very well. This was a new revolver and did not last long …… :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

They sent it back oversized for sure. Compare the old with the crappy rifling to the new. Cylinder lock up rotational play is near non existent, and barrel cylinder alignment is dead nuts on all but one cylinder and it’s JUST barely off on that one. B/C gap is also less than 0.005 which is the smallest my feeler gauge goes.

We’ll see how it shoots tomorrow. IMG_5938.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Back