Does Mossberg=junk?

jdthaddeus

Hello,

I have a Mossberg 500.

There have not been that many rounds through it, but the heat guard fell off, the front bead fell off, and the gun will not cycle but every once in a while. I pull the pump back and it refuses to pop a round out of the tube and the pump will not go back forward. It just jams.
On any given day, it will cycle %90 of the time (that is a GOOD day), but some days it just locks up every round. I have cleaned it up thoroughly and it does not seem to help.

I am looking for a new shotty and am intrigued by the Mossberg Jungle Guns. I am ferarful to trust Mossberg again though.

I want something tough that cycles when I pump it and goes "boom" every time I pull the trigger.

What 12 guage should I go for?
It is purely for home defense and urban unrest, and I will want to mount a light on it I think.

Also, is there any reason not to go with a semi-auto if money is not an issue?

thanks

anyone can build a lemon.
I had (note past tense) a 500 that gave me a fit now and then. final straw was when the cheap plastic safety came apart and jammed things up. Someone else is cussing it now.
I know others are just tickled with their mossb's and that's good.
My 870 has never failed to function flawlessly- doesn't mean there isn't a Rem lemon out there somewhere.

A lot of people swear by the Mossberg 500, and they are probably O.K. for occasional shooting.(I have owned and traded two) I think the only thing good about them is the cheap price. Think of a place where people fire thousands of rounds a year like a trap range, and you won't see many Mossberg anythings. However you will see plenty of Remington 870's, another low price shotgun that offers some quality and reliability. As you might know, the Remington has a cocking rod on both sides to push that bolt back evenly without binding.
For many years I used the 870 to shoot ATA competition including doubles, and never had a failure or jam. Most of the same accesories for Mossberg are now available for Remington, so if you start with a Home Defense Model with little work it's your Jungle Gun.

I thought it was Mossberg that had the dual-action bars. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Remington switch over from single to dual bars not but a few years ago?

I have a Mossberg Maveric pump which does not go bang every time. I have a light strike once every 50 rounds (yes the trigger mech is clean). It has dual-action bars and cycles ok, but doesn't lock-up fully sometimes (I can still move the forearm back without pressing the release catch).

I would suggest trying a Remington 870, I have had no experience with them, but the general feeling on shotgun discussion groups is that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I would say a semi-auto for hd is probably not a good idea...the gun may not cycle reliably when fired from the hip. Mossbergs website says the 9200A1 gas system is specifically designed to handle "standard velocity commercial 12 gauge, 2 3/4" buckshot (9 pellets) maximum load cartridges, (the 9200A1 is not intended for magnums or light loads).

Besides, the bad guy would never hear the clack-clack if you get a semi-auto (unless the heat guard falls off :) )

Point308.

One 870 here has been shot by me since 1958, I don't recall it ever glitching. It's my HD Shotgun now. There's 3 other shotguns here, all 870s. I've owned plenty of others, but the 870s just keep on working....

Most of what I know about shotguns you could put on a counter and a fly could crap on it and cover it. That being said, I bought an 870 last summer because every place I looked, the only gun that was not being touted as being "just as good" as an 870 was a Benelli. I figured why go with something just as good, when I could get the real thing for about the same price. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but my 870 has been fine so far. Sometimes you have to judge by other people's experience, and more people had less kind words for the Mossberg than the Rem 870. Mossberg has been around for a pretty long time, so I don't think they are junk. The 870 has a solid reputation, and it seems to hold up to it. FWIW.

Rich
aka Hal

It would appear that all three of the major names (regardless of success or lack of success with military contracts, reputation among LEOs, etc.) make both reliable and dud shotguns. That's the reality of modern mass production, I guess.

IMHO the only way to trust a tool is to use it until you're certain it's reliable, and then use it some more until you operate it instinctively. I have a thoroughly reliable Win. 1300 Defender that I've used to the point of automatic or instinctive operation. I'll use it for HD before I'll use an 870 or a 500, not because I think all 1300s are better than all 870s or 500s, but because this specific unit is thoroughly proven and I use it instinctively. For others, with proven 870s and 500s, this will be vice versa.

[This message has been edited by Bill Bryant (edited December 24, 1999).]

I've got 3 Mossbergs, a 500, a 590 A1, and an 835 Ulti-mag. I have shot all kinds of shells through each, especially the 500, witch has seen a ton of gimmick stuff (see www.funammo.com ) as well as slugs, 00 & 000 buck, and buckets of birdshot. I have yet to see a single misfire or malfunction. It's because of this, that I have no hesitation what so ever trusting my life and the saftey of my family with it. Just for your info, the 500 I'm talking about is a "persuader" model with an 8-shot tube and 20" cylinder bore barrel. This thing will even group slugs 'cloverleaf' style at 50 yards. With that said, regardless of manufacture, if your gonna use a shotgun for HD, if I were you, I'd buy a remington 870, maybe a police model. Even though I'm positive you got stuck with a rare 'lemon' mossberg, you'll always doubt the gun and possibly the manufacturer. This is something that could cause the kind of hesitation in a crisis that may get you killed. If a BG picks up on ANY hesistaion or lack of confidence, he may try something he otherwise wouldn't. In a duck blind, it doesn't matter if you're a little uneasy, and if it jams, you may loose the shot, but it's not a huge deal. In a HD situation, you HAVE to be positive that if need be, it WILL GO BOOM when you pull the trigger. Whatever you get, be sure it's something you will be comfortable with, and will be able to depend on.

I've got a twenty year-old Remington 870 WingMaster that has never been cleaned and has had a gazillion shots through it and still works perfectly. Maybe I should clean it anyway...

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I think Kingcreek hit the nail on the head when he said that any manufacturer can build a lemon. I too was leery of Mossberg after having extensive problems with one of their bolt action shotguns. However, the only two pump shotguns I've ever seen jam were both Remington 870's! (one was a new express model the other was a 1960's manufacture in mint condition) Based on that I bought a model 500 just to give Mossberg another chance and it has functioned perfectly shooting everything from cheap dove loads to double ought buck. I have yet to clean it and wouldn't hestitate to rely on for home defense.

Like most anything else mechanical, shotguns need a break in period,and proper lubing. A non slick action can oft be improved by simply placing a drop of CLP on the action bar(s) and working the action a few times.

Anthony, clean that 870. Your great Grandchildren will thank you....

My 12 bore is a Moss 500. I have modified it quite a bit. I've also used it quite a bit. No malfunctions, no complaints.
Most international compendiums of small arms refer to the 500/590 being designed specificaly for reliability. From what I've seen, they did a good job.

The Mossberg 500 series(590) is the only shotgun that is milspec approved. It's like my Toyota; Runs (and shoots) forever.
Send it back to Mossberg for a tuneup.

'nuff said. :)

ps I owned a Mossberg. I had to hand carve a safety for it out of walnut. The original plastic one shattered. However, it always fed cleanly and went bang when I pulled the trigger. I likely would still own it if the BG's hadn't stolen it. I replace it with the Remington. It's a much better gun, IMO.

Back