Does Glock half cock?

The striker is partially cocked by approximately 60% (travel) when manually cycled as well as fired.

I would classify it more as pre loading the striker, I think that is the terminology Glock uses (have not had my armorers certification in over 8 years, its a bit fuzzy).

Half cock is generally used in hammer fired guns. Also, most hammer fired guns that are half cocked will not fire when the trigger is pulled.

Based on the way glocks work, the striker cannot go forward unless the trigger is pulled. they have 3 safeties built in, which is well illustrated in the vid. the drop safety was always the one I had trouble understanding before I went to armorers school, and before the sweet gun action vids on youtube.

The Glock is partially cocked, it is considered a single action gun.

A Kahr is only partially cocked, and possibly more percentage cocked that a glock, so why is the Kahr considered a DAO rather than single action like the glock?

The Glock uses a hybrid action in which the internal striker is partially cocked by the movement of the slide. When the trigger is pulled the first pressure completes the cocking action before the striker is released. This gives the Glock the safety of a self-cocking or double action pistol but with a trigger pull which is only a bit heavier than a single action and is consistent for every shot, both "pre-cocked", and a double action. The striker is pulled just slightly rearward under the tension of its own spring when the slide is allowed to go forward. However, when you pull the trigger you add an additional "cocking" to the striker.

Last edited:
Ha ha, how many times this question come up? I just asked similar question like 3 weeks ago!!! Should put it on "sticker".

The Glock is partially cocked, it is considered a single action gun.

Glocks are considered DAO. I realize that they "feel" more like a single action, but by definition they are DAO. As are almost all modern striker fired pistols. That minor difference in terminology is why they are allowed to be used by most LE agencies. Most of them forbid single action guns.

To my knowledge the Springfield XD is the only true single action striker fired pistol. And that is why you never see one in a cop's holster.

Glocks are considered DAO. I realize that they "feel" more like a single action, but by definition they are DAO. As are almost all modern striker fired pistols. That minor difference in terminology is why they are allowed to be used by most LE agencies. Most of them forbid single action guns.

To my knowledge the Springfield XD is the only true single action striker fired pistol. And that is why you never see one in a cop's holster.

Idk that that is true. To my knowledge the PPQ, VP9, and P320 have fully cocked strikers (some claim the M&P is as well, though we’ve had debates about that here in the past). The P320 is certainly sold to law enforcement.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/23/clarifying-double-action-only-dao/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any striker fired pistol that uses a rotating sear should be considered single action. This includes the M&P.

By definition, in a single action firearm pulling the trigger performs ONE ("single") function: releasing the hammer (or striker). If pulling the trigger does anything else, including moving the striker an additional 40% to the rear before releasing it -- it is not a single action firearm.

.. with a trigger pull which is only a bit heavier than a single action and is consistent for every shot, ...

I shot a friend's new Glock compact .45, a while back, both he and I agreed on one thing, THAT pistol's trigger pull was NOT consistent. The release was different EVERY SINGLE SHOT, and not in any kind of pattern.

Bought new on Friday, shot 300rnds on Saturday (and with 3 jams) and went back to the shop to be traded off on Monday. Not because of the jams, which were expected in a brand new gun, but because of the trigger.

that pistol was NOT "perfection".

To my knowledge the Springfield XD is the only true single action striker fired pistol.

I have a Luger and several .22LR pistols that are true single action striker fired guns. The XD isn't the only one that is a true SA striker fired design.

Not sure what SA semi-auto means but . . . .

The little Bauer 25 ACP (that I used to struggle with) may be one that qualities as true SA semi-auto. After being racked or fired the firing pin was fully cocked just waiting for release.

Life is good
Prof Young

Please contact our County Sheriff, as well as all City PD Chiefs in the county and let them know we shouldn't use them anymore.

Also, what about the Walther P99AS and the multiple Taurus striker fired models that have SA triggers, but with second strike capability? I'm not familiar with their systems, but the triggers definitely feel crisp like a real SA.

I got my Glock 26 gen3. The trigger feels more SA to me, there is very light up take before I feel the stop, then squeeze, it's a very cripes release, it's actually feels good, slightly on the heavy side, but it's cripes.

. Also, what about the Walther P99AS and the multiple Taurus striker fired models that have SA triggers, but with second strike capability? I'm not familiar with their systems, but the triggers definitely feel crisp like a real SA.

The P99 is a true DA/SA firearm (in most guises there is a QA variant). The gun is loaded and decocked to a DA mode no different then any number of hammer fired SIGS, Berettas etc. (Yes there is an AS function but functionally it’s a DA/SA). The only real difference is a striker instead of a hammer. I wish this had gained more popularity.

The XD is a single action. Trigger only releases the striker. I BELIEVE the PPQ, 320 and several others are fully cocked and single action as well.

Glocks are “TECHNICALLY” double action. The trigger pulls the striker back the rest of the way before releasing. Action and a half if you will.

As for Taurus.......heck they have ZERO ACTION models that will shoot if you hold them wrong......but I digress. :)

In my opinion the GOTCHA if you will of most striker fired pistols is the short trigger movement/take up. It’s not a bad thing it’s just a thing to consider and understand vs most DA/SA guns that have longer trigger movement.

You might be the VERY FIRST person in the universe to call a glock trigger "crisp"!:D:D:D

I am serious, no creep or anything. Of cause, you cannot compare to the target pistols like my Mark II, Colt Trouper or my Gold Cup, they are much lighter. But yes, it's crisp, it breaks very clean and sudden. I did not expect this. Maybe I expect lousy pull.

I guess with all the talk of Glock is like half double action, I expect to feel something like that. No, it's more single action with a little take up distance.

Or................might I get lucky?!!:D

Back