Does anyone...?

• Thread starter Thread starter PreserveFreedom
  • Start date Start date
P

PreserveFreedom

Does anyone shoot metallic cartridges loaded with black powder for cowboy shoots?

Yes. Many do. Including me.
I fill up a 44-40 case with pyrodex P or RS and put a bullet on it. Standard primers. Sometimes I use pyrodex .44/.45 cal , 30 grain pellets. The pellets don't have to be compressed, they already are. I use pyrodex because it doesn't react as badly to the standard lubed bullets I use. Any gun must be cleaned of all smokeless residue and conditioned [bore butter etc.] for BP before expecting it to make it through a match. Shot shells: pyrodex RS, #7 1/2 shot, AA hull, plastic wad. The amount of pyrodex is determined by the needed volume that compresses and allows a crimp with your shot charge, wad, etc.
DON"T mix shooting BP and smokeless in any gun without cleaning. The fouling will be bad.
IMHO
Best BP rifle Winchester '73.
Best caliber for BP: 44-40.
Joe West

Ever hear of/see someone doing it with 357magnum/38spl? I really wanna get into cowboy shooting some day, and I think that loading with black powder will add that much more fun to the deal. I want to stick with 357 Magnum because that is just my favorite wheelgun caliber. I see a pair of stainless Vaqueros in my future.

I shoot BP in my .357 Rugers. I started out using .357 cases but have now changed to .38spec. I am loading BP, not a subsitute and also using bullets lubed for BP use.

I'm also shooting it in my Marlin which is .45 caliber and in my Stoeger SXS. I'm using Ballistol for clean up and it's no worse than cleaning up smokeless.

Angel Diamond

Back