Does anyone own the .45-70 BFR? comments:

DTF#4

I hunt alot with handguns, primarily my .500 Linebaugh. I am looking to aquire the BFR .45-70 produced by Magnum Research. Does anyone have any info on this particular gun?
Thanks for your time!

You know, it *looks* insane, but the pressure generated by standard load .45/70's is much less than that generated by .454 Casulls or Linebaughs. It might just work. I haven't shot one, but I've heard they don't kick too badly. On the other hand, there's no way I'd load a Buffalo Bore 430 grain in a BFR. Those hurt coming out of an 1895G!

People here may make fun of it but ...

I think the BFR in 45/70 is a great idea.

Why?

Try finding a repeating rifle chambered in .454 or .500 Linebaugh ... they should make them, but for whatever reason no one does.

If I suddenly felt the need for a handgun/rifle combo in the same cartridge, say for defense from bears or something, I would choose the BFR and get a Marlin 1895.

That aside, Shooting Times did an article not too long ago on the BFR revolvers and included details on acccuracy and velocity. Don't hold me to it, but I'm thinking that the velocities in that 7.5 incher were pretty 44 magnum-ish, say 1300 - 1350 fps for a fairly heavy bullet, maybe 405 grains.

I think accuracy was about 3 inches at 50 yds., and they felt that these were definitely high-quality, sturdy guns..

I've wanted one for a long time, but with a dealer price just under $800, its pretty low on my list.

I find it amusing that BFR is said to officialy stand for "Biggest Finest Revolver," but in the factory it is usually called "Biggest F%^&ing Revolver."

I second the afrementioned idea of chambering some rifles in .500 Linebaugh or .454 Casull. I wonder how hard it would be to beef up a lever action for this.

Back