Does anyone make those safe-t-blok things for S&W 642s?

vmaam

I really would like a trigger type guard that is easy to flick out. I spoke to the safe-t-blok people last week who said that they only have them for Glocks. Any ideas?

vmaam:
A trigger safety block is the easiest do-it-yourself gun project going. I use heavy half-inch gray industrial carpet padding, which is basically closed-cell urethane foam. The kind of dense white foam that they use to pack electronics would be ok, also. Two minutes with an exacto knife gives you a crescent shaped, slightly compressible wedge to insert securely behind your trigger. And they are disposable. I suppose if I had to make and advertise and distribute them, I could justify the $17 price tag of the Safe-T-Bloc...but as it is, I find my $.02 home whittled ones just fine. Never thought to try it until I got a Kahr. D:

What on earth for? If one is that leary of loaded guns, especially guns with very heavy trigger pulls, then maybe that person shouldn't carry.

[Edited by cuerno de chivo on 12-27-2000 at 11:57 AM]

Thanks for the idea Slabsides...I'll try it.

As for why, I'm still new to CCW and I guess I'd just like a little more safety for my conscience. Once I get more used to it, I may dispose of them. I don't think there is a down side to it.

You are adding complications to a simple process (pull trigger, go bang). If you pull your piece, are you going to remember to remove the block, or are you going to have the coordination to do it? Will you have the time? If you ever have to pull your piece, you will probably be in a situation where you become quite scared quite quickly.

If you were a friend or a relative, I would be more concerned about its use causing harm than its non-use.

Just my opinion (and we know what those are like :eek: ;)).

I don't have a very high opinion of people who would sneer at someone's efforts to make carrying a deadly weapon more safe and secure.
I know I'm not one of those faultless people who can guarantee that I, or another who may incidentally handle my 'piece', will not have a momentary lapse of concentration that can result in life-long anguish and regret.
Frankly I can't conceive of a defense situation where I wouldn't have time to push a piece of foam out from behind my trigger. But I can easily imagine a situation where not being chambered could be a bad thing.
We all have to choose our solutions, and know our limitations. I've chosen mine, fellas, so sneer away, and be very, very careful out there. Murphy is looking for you.

If it's in a holster, like it should be, you won't have any problem. The only time the pistol should be out of the holster is in a "life threatening" situation.

Now, when your not wearing it. A simple padlock behind the trigger will suffice.

One suggestion if you buy or make a trigger block - practice, practice, practice. I've been carrying about four years now, and recently bought a Saf-T-Lok for my Glock Model 23. I had not been carrying with one in the pipe because I felt uneasy. So, I figured, hey, I'll get the best of both worlds by keeping a round chambered, and the trigger block will make me feel more comfortable. I was smart enough to try it out at my local range by drawing my concealed and loaded gun from behind my back, dropping the trigger block, and firing off a couple of rounds. The results were abyssmal. First few times I tried it, I couldn't get my finger to pop it out. Then, the next few times, I pushed the mag release by mistake (I am left-handed) and dropped my magazine. Needless to say, my Saf-T-Lok has been relegated to the drawer. Take heed, and learn to remove the trigger block by instinct if you choose to use one.

Back