Does anyone make a multi caliber rifle?

kcub

That barrel swaps to several calibers in the same family.

Example: .308 family, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08.

Preferably semi but bolt or other is ok.

I think Kreighoff makes a pump that transforms calibers.

Maybe its cheaper to have 2 or 3 rifles (but it need not necessarily be).

Blaser, bring your wallet. Thompson used to, not sure if they are still making them. They were single shot.

Check out the MBR at Riverman Gun Works.
They are a little pricey, my oldest grandson while working in Idaho had a chance to shoot one at 500 yards, he said it's a great rifle.

I'm at a point age wise where I'm starting to thin out my rifle collection, if it was not for that I would seriously consider one.

There are actually several that do that. The T/C Dimension is the affordable version, but decent rifles. Yes, Blaser and then there is another step up to Desert Tech...http://deserttech.com/

There are custom shops that build them as well.

You can always go AR15/.308 Pattern ARs. Complete uppers swap out real easy. :D

None of these interest me, but the ones built from break action single shots strike me as the most useful. With most repeaters you pretty much have to have all the calibers based off the same action length and bolt face. The truth is that within those parameters there just ain't that much difference and little advantage to swapping calibers.

If one were to choose something from the 308 family you could have 243, 260, 7-08, 308, 338 Fed, and 358 Win. The difference between 243 and 358 is noticeable. But one could buy the 308 and load 110 gr TTSX's and come pretty darn close to 243. Loaded with 200-220 gr bullets it would do anything the 358 would do.

But a break action rifle is wide open to almost any combo.

I happen to own a Sig Sauer 202 Supreme Lux having a 3-barrel set. 30-06/ 270/25-06. When I bought mine quite some time ago the rifle was near 1000.00 alone and each additional special ordered barrel was 400.00. Clips for. 60.00 ea. of which I have 4-of. I do believe the rifle & model is still marketed.

But a break action rifle is wide open to almost any combo.

Exactly, and why I have an Encore and see no need for any of the three I listed. Even in my ARs (of which I have 6 different calibers) all my uppers have their own lower.

But the OP asked what there was, not what we preferred. :)

EVERYONE who makes an AR type rifle...

Savage rifles are very easy to swap out barrels and could be set up as a multi caliber rifle...

I make a distinction between rifles that let you change barrels and ones that are made to swap multiple barrels, in the field.

You can change the barrel on anything, the amount and difficulty of the shop work needed differs but can be done.

Guns made to swap barrels without shop work (in the field) are different.

I have a Contender, and several barrels, including those rifle rounds the Contender frame will handle, (.22 Hornet, .222Rem, .30-30, .45-70 in my case).

I could go to an Encore and get the same versatility with larger/higher pressure rifle rounds, but have not simply due to personal reasons (and other guns for those reasons).

The advantage to the Contender/Encore system, besides the ease of change is that the sights or scope is mounted on the barrel. Although this means you need a separate scope for each barrel, (adding to total cost) once sighted in, they generally stay that way, and you can switch without having to re-sight the rifle every time.

Sure, stuff can happen, its smart to verify the zero before use, I would, and do. TO date, have never had one "lose zero".

Its a much different thing than a switch barrel bolt action, where one single scope is mounted on the receiver, where you will need to zero the rifle every time you change barrels.

Well, the T/C Dimension is a bolt rifle so within one of your parameter options, and has been brought up, but the canti-levered mount that goes with the barrel has to "lock into" the rear of the scope mount which stays with the receiver (unlike the Contender and Encore series's, and the NEF Handi Rifle, and Rossi Rifle, and CVA, and...); therefore I am skeptical that a Dimension setup will actually hold zero - can anyone confirm or deny? Plus the Dimension can only be had with a butt ugly synthetic stock - no wood.

Yeah, AR15 and AR10 pattern rigs can swap uppers in 20 seconds flat, and they will hold zero if you have pretty tight pins, and probably even if you don't - the play in the upper and lower, if any, doesn't always affect accuracy, but can.

There are many other so-called "multi-caliber" rifles where the *barrel* swaps out pretty fast and easy (e.g. the Desert Tactical SRS rifle, the Sako mentioned immediately above, several others), but it's a siren song, IMO, and makes no sense to me because you have to "re-zero all over again" to paraphrase Yogi Berra.

I'm not a fan of switching anything. I want ALL of my rifles to be "grab and go" - complete with a receiver & stock dedicated to and complimentary to the barrel or upper, and dedicated to a very specific bullet and load, and left zeroed for load and not changed. One I settle on a load and a scope, which might take years, but it does happen, I don't want to change anything, and I want it to be ready to go at a moment's notice, whether for hunting or self-defense. I view most of these switch calibers as useless gimmicks.

Yes, I have a T/C Contender, but it's dedicated to one and only one barrel.

YMMV. ARs are pretty fast and easy to swap, and I'd be the *least* averse to having multiple uppers and one lower with an AR system, relative to others - but I didn't even do that when I had ARs.

Last edited:
Well there is the chiappa x-caliber. Comes with 8 barrels and shoots 12 calibers. Though technically a rifle, it's just a survival gun so it may not be what you have in mind.

I'm not remembering too clearly, but didn't savage make rifles for a while that were attached with a heavy nut on the barrel, for lack of a better term? It seems to me that the things were sold as interchangable between identical rim dimensions and OAL. Someone help me out here?

IIRC, you essentially unscrewed your barrel, put the new one on, and used a standard headspace gauge to index the chamber on. If these are no longer available, old ones can probably still be found, but a barrel that would work may be a gunsmith task.

The MBR,s come in two models.

The MBR15 caliber choices are 223/5.56, 204, 6.5Grendel, 6.8 Special and 300AC.

The MBR10 caliber choices are 308, 243, 7mm-08, 260, 6.5 CReedmore, and 338 Federal.

Here's some info from the Riverman website, there's some good videos on their website www.rivermangunworks.com .

As I said in my earlier post my oldest grandson got the chance to shoot an MBR in 308 caliber at 500 yards and he said it was an outstanding rifle.

"The MBR Modular Breakdown Rifle™ is a precision, long range, bolt action rifle built on an AR chassis. Capable of ½ MOA with factory ammo, guaranteed, the MBR shoots multiple calibers just by changing the barrel. With a quick detach forend, disassembly and reassembly takes less than 15 seconds, no tools required, and when reassembled the MBR holds its zero, every time."

Only caution with the SIG SHR 970 is that since it is out of production the spare barrels are hard to find.

Chiappa

Note: The Chiappa X-Caliber comes with 8 barrel inserts....not eight separate barrels.
+1 for the Encore as a choice (with the warning that buying barrels is addictive.)
Pete

as mentioned... the Encore will handle the calibers the OP was asking about... I've been wanting one :o

but I got started with Contenders, which handle the 223ish based cartridges, & lower pressure bigger bores, have barrels in 35 Remington, 375 Winchester, 45-70... & as mentioned having the scope with the barrel increases the accuracy potential, without having to resight the scope every time the barrel is changed... also as mentioned, they are addicting

I've been going to commision 3 barrels for a custom take down bolt action rifle, which would be similar to what the OP I think was talking about, but both cost, & need have kept me from it yet...

picture of "some" of my Contender barrels... most pictured are handgun length, rifle & carbine length just out of picture to the left... but with the Encore, any of these calibers are possible, all the way through the belted magnums... ( note these are all different calibers, & could all just as easily be rifle barrels, & fit on any of one of my 4 actions... also, at least on the Contenders, rim fires are an option, as the hammer has a flip switch to change the strike from centerfire to rim fire )

attachment.php

Attachments

• some Contender barrels.jpg
    some Contender barrels.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 983
Back