Does anyone make a 9mm snubie?

Smith used to make the 9mm M-940 J-frame. Ruger still(?) produces the larger SP101 in 9mm. Most owners appear to be quite fond of them. I don't beieve I've ever seen a used example of the Smith, and only one of the Rugers.

They're getting hard to find.

There's been a lot of interest of late.

S&W's 940 is pretty nice. Ruger doesn't make the 9x19 SP-101 anymore - I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I saw one with a decent price.

I like the S&W a tiny bit better, because it's smaller (lighter and easier to conceal), but I think it's still big enough to handle the recoil of the 9mm okay. That said, the sideplate screws on my 940 started backing out on me this weekend after I ran 100 rounds through the revo. I tightened them down (always bring a screwdriver set to the range!) and kept plugging away (this is the first time it's happened, and I'm approaching 1K rounds thru the gun). The Ruger is more pleasant to shoot and will never fall apart, ever. Also, the Smith is DAO (mine has had a trigger job, so it's pretty nice) whereas the Ruger can be DA or SA.

I think the 9x19 is the most efficient .35-cal. round out of a snubby, and I think these are really great guns.

I used to have a S&W 940 9mm J frame. It shot great. It used full moon clips to hold the ammo. They are kind of a pain. I sold it to get a lighter weight J frame in 38 special. Selling the 940 was a mistake. They make a great backup for a 9mm auto pistol. Watch-Six

I have the 940 also. It is a great lil pocket monster. I feel from my subjective testing that the 940 has about the same power as a 357 Magnum model 640. You just get a heckuva lot more fire and noise from the latter. HTH

if you're looking for a used gun and are willing to go up a bit in size (although not much more than a sp101)...
ruger used to offer their excellent speed-six and service-six (2,5" & 4") in 9mm
smith also used to offer their k-frame in 9mm, but i can't remenber the number (thinking 547?)

9MM FIVEGUNS

S+W MADE THE M940 9MM REVOLVERS IN 2" AND 3" VERSIONS. HAD BOTH BUT DUMPED THE 2" AND KEPT THE 3". THE 3" M940 IS ACCURATE AS ALL GITOUT WITH VELOCITIES THAT'LL EQUAL ANY 9MM AUTOLOADER. IT ALSO SHOOTS 9MM FEDERAL AMMO LIKE A CHAMP BUT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT SO FORGET I SAID THAT.
THESE M940'S ARE REALLY!! SNOOTY ABOUT THEIR DIET AND SOME WILL NOT TOLERATE 9MM+P LOADS DUE TO SMITH CHANGING THE 9MM CHARGE HOLE SPECS TO SUIT THEMSELVES. ACTUALLY THEY STRAIGHTENED OUT THE CHAMBER TO MORE LIKE A REVOLVER CHAMBER THAN AN AUTOLOADING PISTOL CHAMBER IN THESE GUNS. IT WAS A CLASSIC CLUSTER COITUS THAT THEY'VE MUCH REGRETED LATER. IF YOUR M940 CAN'T TOLERATE 9MM+P LOADS SMITH CAN PUT IN A NEW CYLINDER THAT'LL WORK JUST FINE. DON'T LET 'EM B S YOU ON THIS EITHER.

I've been dying for a 9x19mm Ruger SP101 since I found out that they existed.

You know, Charter Arms briefly made a 9x19 revo, too. I think it was on the .357 Tracker frame. It was specifically designed for the 9mm Federal. I don't think I've ever seen one.

I was thinking about this thread on the way to work today. I honestly think I'm happier with my 940 than I have been with any of the other snubs I've had. And, again, if I saw an SP-101 (especially a 3"!) in 9x19, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You want to know what kills me? Some lucky guy over on the Ruger Forum found a 9mm SP-101 in a pawn shop, and got it for $135. My man ought to buy a Powerball ticket with that kind of luck!

S&W also made a 3" and 4" K-frame, the 547, in 9 mm.

I have a 4" with square butt model of this gun, and a friend has a 3" with round butt. (Jeez, that sounds almost raunchy...)

The 547 is interesting because it doesn't use moon clips; it has a special, spring-loaded ejector with little nubs that pushes out the semi-auto round beautifully.

If I were looking for a readily concealable 9mm revolver, I'd hunt for the 3" round butt version of the 547.

The 547s are really neat, but I have a hard time considering a 3" K-frame a snubby.

If you can find one, though . . .

"The 547s are really neat, but I have a hard time considering a 3" K-frame a snubby. If you can find one, though . . ."

I found one, and bid the minimum (a little high (even though it's supposed to be Mint in the Box), but if you want something, sometimes you just gotta say: "What the heck!" :D )

sw-549.jpg

So which is the better 9mm revolver snubbie or not?

The Ruger SP101 or the SW 940?

I love the Smith triggers and many gunsmiths can do some great action jobs on them but the Ruger SP101s are more available.

Does the Ruger SP101 use moon clips like the SW 940?

Just a guy looking for a 9mm revolver (already have all of the nice 9mm semi autos.

Accuracy at 15 and 25 yards?

How do they like reloads? Flatpoints? Hollowpoints?

My old Ruger does.

Ruger uses the moon clips. If you don't, you'll have to use a pencil or dowel rod to poke them out of the cylinder.

Back