does anyone know what this old flintlock is

beebrad

Inactive
Can anyone help me out on this it has a 51" barrel dont know if it's a replica or what.

Attachments

• flint lock.jpg
    flint lock.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 126
  • flint lock (4).jpg
    flint lock (4).jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG00127.jpg
    IMG00127.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 87
here are some more pics of it

Attachments

• IMG00131.jpg
    IMG00131.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG00141.jpg
    IMG00141.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 64
  • flint lock (3).jpg
    flint lock (3).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 64
With all respect, Beebrad, I am sure you are a nice guy, but don't quit your day job to work as a photographer.

From what little I can tell, I think it was made of bits and pieces, probably in some place like the Khyber Pass. The barrel might be from a British musket, part of the lockplate may be U.S., the trigger guard looks handmade, and the marking is the kind of thing put on in places where those funny western characters don't mean anything, so upside down, right side up, sideways, what's the difference.

It might have been made as a serious weapon at the time flintlocks were in use, but I think it was made much more recently to sell as a curio or souvenir. Any idea where it came from? I have heard that since GIs in Afghanistan are not allowed to bring or ship back any modern arms, a few have brought back that kind of thing.

Jim

That is one of the things that points in the direction of the middle east where long barrels are/were considered a sign of a gun's power.

Jim

Looks like a parts gun to me. Barrel says "Made in Belgium", the lock appears to be from an old 1805 Springfield or Harper's Ferry rifle (or a replica of one of those), the stock looks like it was modified from something else.

I see the "Made in Belgium" (in English!) now, but it appears to be either stamped over some other marking or overstamped with some other marking. That is why I first assumed it was the usual "Khyber pass" marking using random letter stamps.

The barrel length does not mean that the barrel did not start out as a musket barrel; the eastern craftsmen were adept at welding extra pieces on to the barrel for the reason I mentioned before.

Jim

Back