Does anyone know if the older Ruger m77 are still considered as Mark IIs

I have a Ruger M77 that is old enough that Ruger just stamped Ruger M77 on the action and I need to know what to call it. Does anyone have any positive/negetive feed back on this rifle. Are there any websites that will let you find out great rifle information based on your rifle serial number.

Is the safety on the tang? If so it's the standard M77.

I think it's a moderately desirable rifle when compared to rifles made around the same time period. I think they are better than most rifles made today. The one I have been working with is quite a shooter.

Tang...the orange powder drink?

No. the rearmost metal portion of the action, normally on the top of the rifle stock at the pistol grip. Tang is sometimes also used for the corresponding metal on the bottom of the stock, but this usage is uncommon.

Any other serial number sites?

Ruger-Firearms.com just isn't helping me out at all. They don't run a serial number spread that covers the serial numbers on certain rifles of mine.

Last edited:
If it aint listed on Ruger's List than one of two things is happening. . .

A. You don't actually have a Ruger

B. You have a very special Ruger and you should call the factory for further information

We can help you, what is the rifle? Caliber? Features? Serial # and/or # prefix??

Back