Does anyone just leave the cosmoline alone?

MuscleGarunt

I don't really mind the smell. I've got a couple Nagants and don't really want the hassle of completely stripping all the cosmoline. I wipe off what is obvious or could impede the action or function of the weapon as well as what is in the bore.

So my real question is, does anyone else just leave the cosmoline alone? Nothing like the smell of sweating cosmoline from a hot handguard.:barf:

Last edited:
I try to collect it up off my firearms and spead it around the house for air-freshener. I love the smell for it. Sometimes I'll even wipe some on a rag and wipe the dash/doors and whatnot in my truck just to keep it smelling great. Even thought about trying to make a man's cologne out of it....bet the chicks would dig that. :D

On my more collectible collectibles I eradicate the stuff, then apply a thinner Hoppe's grease to the hidden parts. On the Mosin-types, it isn't worth the effort to me--as I can't labor over a $100 rifle that is already well preserved.

I don't mind the smell as much as the overall greasiness, and I don't want it getting all over everything if I take it to shoot. So I strip most if not all of it off. Besides, disassembling, cleaning, and inspecting is part of the "receiving" process of getting a new firearm.

New to this forum. I thought you would enjoy the pictures.

With Cosmoline
receiver2.jpg

03a3Stamps1.jpg

Without Cosmoline.
Receiverafter2.jpg

Middleafter.jpg

I do enjoy the smell, but this one was a little much. So I needed to clean it up and was suprised at how well it looked once it was cleaned up. This was hand picked at the CMP North Store. 1 of 2 that I bought in 2005

Wow I can honestly say that I have never seen cosmoline that bad before!

Great job on the clean-up. Which method did you use?

Kyle

Not unless you enjoy being filthy & covered in greasy gunk when you are done shooting.At least sweat it out as much as possible inside a car on a hot summer day. :eek:

I love the smell of cosmo too. When that little thin trace of smoke wends its way up around the edges of a handguard.....mmm, cosmo smoke is my anti-drug!

BTW can you buy or make the stuff yourself? I've never noticed it around anywhere.

Back