Does anyone have an idea on how to make a gun cabinet that is invisible to crooks?

UZI4U

I am interested in making a cabinet that I can store my guns safely without fear that some crook, child or a police officer who doesn't believe in search warrants won't find my toys. Whats the best idea out there? I have seen gun cabinets incorporated into recent construction. One individual incorporated two cabinets in his closet. The closet had two sliding doors with a wall on each side of the doors. The walls were really doors with hinges. To hide the fact that the walls were doors he placed mirrors on the doors and wood trim that outlined the sliding doors. The doors were made out of plywood. The inner wall of the cabinet was made out of drywall so if you looked inside the closet it would appear to be a regular drywalled closet. The actual opening of the closet was 5 feet wide 8 ft high. The closet was 10ft wide by 8ft high. This left my friend with a storage space on one side of 1 ft wide by 7'6" high. This is where he kept his hand guns. On the other side, he had a storage capacity of 3' wide by 7'6" high. This is where he kept his rifles, shotguns, and etc. If you know of better ways to store guns besides safes tell me you ideas.

I'd recomend that you get the Paladin Press book, "The Big Book of Secret Hiding Places"; Do NOTHING described specifically in it, but it will give you a good idea what somebody might be looking for!

As for a concrete proposal: Mount the medicine cabinet in your bathroom on hinges, (Concealed hinges; They're more expensive, but can't be seen when closed.) with a latching system which is magnetically actuated. Unless the cops KNOW you're hiding things, they're not going to rip the cabinets off the wall, and with a magneticly actuated latch, there's no visible hardware. Just a good sized magnet kept somewhere convenient.

The medicine cabinet in MY bathroom is about 4 ft wide, and behind it lies an attic with no access, so I'm planning on some MONSTER storage there.

Oh, and HIDE THAT BOOK. The police find your copy of it while doing a search, and the next thing you know, your home will be torn apart down to the footings.

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

My grandfather built a great gun storage system very simpe too. He used a "built in book shelf" and made the bottem 11 in a hidden box long enough for 2 guns end to end and 4 wide. We then put the encylopidia set on the top. No this is not usefull for easy access but for long term stoage and concealabilty it was great.

Quick 'n Dirty hangun place:

Take your trash can (empty) put guns in bottom, Place plastic liner inside, fill with some nasty smelling refuse.

Most people will ignore it completely. :)

------------------
9x19x(15+1) = Glock19, the Best.

Beware of "security through obscurity".

I know someone who had a similar "secret panel" gun cabinet. His naieve kid pointed it out ("look at this, a _secret_ cabinet with _guns_! Neat!") to a friend who later returned with pals and emptied the contents.

Hiding the cabinet is a great idea...as long as what's hidden is a true safe. Plywood, paint and mirrors are fine until someone figures out what's going on, at which point going through the plywood, paint and mirrors is trivial.

Go to a safe & lock store; they'll have suggestions and products for hiding safes.

Here's a neat idea that I've seen used:

Take one of those inexpensive steel gun lockers and paint it battleship gray. Then paste a "Danger - High Voltage" decal on it (or paint it on), be sure to make it look menacing, with the yellow and black "hash marks and lightning bolts" You could even weld some fittings to the outside and attach false wiring conduits that disappear into the wall. Position it in a closet near you air conditioning or heating system's blower motor and paint a company logo on the front (Bryant, Trane, Lennox, Rheem, etc.), just for "effect". A cheap "main breaker" type switch could be attached to the thing somewhere, those are pretty cheap at the Home Depot.

I placed this on my safe

Warning: This safe is used to store explosivies and primers Before trying to break into it let me know so I can leave town..

This thread becomes more pertinent when you consider the results of Connecticut's "Turn in your Neighbor" law. Some bozo from Illinois says he's going to introduce it and a Hawaii HCI member says that's what Hawaii needs (after the last shooting). Who is next?

See if you can put your "goods" near a big metal mass. They (govt/police) might start using metal detectors some day.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

UZI got your e-mail. I agree.

I had worked for an adhesive manufacturer at one time and an end user had called up complaining about the fumes one of the products was emitting. To cut to the chase, he was lining a recess in one of his walls with plastic using the adhesive to act as a moisture barrier. Into the recess (once the glue dried) would go a gun safe bolted to the walls. Once the safe is in there he was going to build a falls wall or other unobtrusive feature covering it.

- Ron V.

------------------

If a crook is in a place where he could see your gun-safe, you've already blown it.

Cheers!

------------------
SameShot, Different day

SameShot

I didn't say my guns were in the safe "in fact they are not" the powder and primers are in that safe, they are supposed to find it. Confusion to the enemy...If they spend two hours trying to get in to a safe that has powder and primers thats two hours they didn't spend trying to find and defeat the one I built. Face it I baited you the same way I am baiting the crooks and you went for it didnt you?
I do not intend putting on a bulletin board, where the safe with the guns is. Get real! If you really want to know E-mail me I might tell you

Alan,
Maybe I didnt make myself clear either,
I think if that same crook is even IN YOUR HOME you didn't take the right precautions.
Whether they are in your home futzing with your fake "dummy" safe or not is irrelevant.
In your home means that you and whomever you care about in it are in danger.
I guess I'd rather have the guy waste 2 hours, or maybe even all day learning that they cant get in my home at all.
Start there.

Cheers!

------------------
SameShot, Different day

[This message has been edited by SameShot (edited November 05, 1999).]

SameShot and UZI4U.

This is for the both of you.

Deadbolts. Three to four of them. Space them every two feet on your outside doors. Guess what? The ones from the waist down might give. The ones eye level and higher won't; I don't know many individuals bad enough or determined enough to defeat the physics of a deadbolt lock placed five feet high or better. By the time they did, one of two things will happen: (1) the intruder is eliminated or (2) they deserved to break into the house if no one's home for the sole reason of determination.

A friend (no, not me... I don't even have a basement) built a fake wall on one end of his basement. One half of the wall is recessed for an entertainment center. The other half contains a closet. Inside the closet, the back wall looks like wallboard but is actually a pocket door that slides to the side revealing a standard door that is normally locked (to keep the kids out). Behind that door is an 8'x15' room. The pocket door has a wedge arrangement to pull it tight and close any gaps between it and the wall when it is closed. With stuff hanging in the closet, its very, very, hard to tell there is anything unusual about the rear of the closet.

Back