does anyone have a starting load for 175gr S&W

champ198

i know about the pressures of the 40S&W and all that and was jsut looking for a starting point for it. not looking for hot loads jsut something to plink at the range not going to be Self Defense loads jsut range ammo only.
the 2 pistol powders i got are IMR trailboss and Winchester WSF will these be ok for these cast loads

The best source for answers regarding your specific powders would be to manufacturer's website. There are a number of great loads and powders available for the 175gr cast. If you don't already have it, a great reference book is the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4. It lists quite a few. I have never loaded either of these powders, but have heard good things about WST, WW-231, Red Dot, Unique, Power Pistol, and a number of others. Because of it's bulk and low energy, I would be kind of surprised if TrailBoss worked very well in the .40s&w.

Are these bullets you cast yourself or did you buy some commercial cast ones? Do you know how hard they are?

My experience with loading light pistol loads has primarily been with Bullseye in .38 and .45 cast bullet loads. It's a fast powder and does well with target/plinker loads. Between TrailBoss and WSF, TrailBoss has a burning rate closer to that of Bullseye. That's the powder I'd try first. Stick_man may be correct about its bulk/energy, but you indicated that you looking for light loads with the powder you have. I typically use powders around WSP's burning rate in larger revolver cases. YMMV

Back