Does anyone have a few rifles, but then many scopes?

Pond James Pond

By few rifles I mean even just the one.

Let me explain my question. Arguably, different rifle configurations and different chamberings are good at different things, but there are some calibres that are quite good Jacks of All Trades, so a medium length .308 bolt action like the Ruger Scout or an AR in .223 can be good in heavy woodland, or even then reach out to 5-600m if the load is up to the job.

So I was wondering if any rifle owners have several scopes that they might use for the same gun depending on the application. Perhaps a 24mm objective for woodland shooting, and a large mag 56mm for longer range target shooting or this habit of shooting prairie dogs (do you eat them?).

Does this ever happen?

There is a reason the 3-9X40 variable is the most common. On 3X they are pretty fast up close. You have to drop down to a 1X scope to be significantly better. 9X is enough to hit deer size game out past 600 yards if the shooter is good enough. You only need more magnification for small game or very long range work. People who do that tend to have very specific rifles set up just for that purpose.

Changing optics back and forth and having to verify zero each time just isn't practical to me, not to mention wear and tear of the mounts. It is better to have one versatile scope, or to have several rifles set up for specific needs in my opinion.

I have 2 scopes, both bought for the same rifle, One is a Tasco 3-9x40 with a BDC type reticle that held its zero and was a pretty great scope in general, it's sitting in my gun cabinet now, I have a Centerpoint 4-16x40 IR Scope that is crystal clear and will be a good scope for my use out to 300 yards when I figure out if I need to use the mil dots for holdover or not, in terms of scopes, I would prefer a simple duplex over this mil-dot stuff. If I had my druthers it would have iron sights like the rest of my rifles but I've been told iron sights wouldn't be practical on a .22-250...but what are you going to do...

Ive got more glass then guns.

I tended to keep magnified scopes and red-dots avail for each of my AR's, and change back and forth as the need arises.

As my stable of guns increased over the past cpl years sitting around Stateside, ive built short range guns that run red-dots, medium range guns that have low power scopes 1-4 or straight 3x setups

My "long range" guns are bolts with higher mag scopes on them 6-24x and the like.

Ive just got into Prairie dog shooting and am using a 17hmr bolt with a 4-12x scope, but i find i like it best set on 8 or 9x. Even for the long shots.

I cant imagine anyone eating Prairie dog, except in an emergency. We treat em as varmints. Think big rats.

Back