Does anyone ever pay MSRP for a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchardwick

I have my eye on a semi-auto hand gun on Gunbroker but it's $200 higher than Buds. Only thing is that Buds is sold out and I can't find the gun anywhere. It's listed at MSRP but I've never paid MSRP for a gun, have you?

Nope, as long as it has not been discontinued, it will be back in stock at the lower price. Surely, but not always..

Here in Kali we're lucky when we can find them as cheap as MSRP. The local shop gets $80 to receive & do paperwork on one from out of state (plus what the seller nails us for sending it to such an unfriendly place) so it all negates any savings.

Depends. I live in MA. Guns that we can't get any more (like Colts), we pay above MSRP even on used specimens.

I have.

I'm a terribly impulsive buyer, and if I see something that I want, I typically just buy it instead of shopping around.

Lately I have been more cautious just because I have spent so much lately. Case in point... I was being rung up at one shop for my AR and EOTech along with some other goodies, and I asked about the price of their FN FS2000... they wanted $2390 for it. I almost jumped on it, but decided to pass that day.

It ate at me and I really wanted it, so I decided the next day to go back and pick it up. It was sold and it would be a week before they saw another one... so I called up another shop close by, they had two in stock and both were offered at $2109. That's a HUGE price difference, and almost paid for the EOTech I slapped on that one when I bought it.

Now i shop around a bit more because I know my main shop gouges on prices (bought the same exact EOTech at the other place for $50 less too) so I don't just impulse buy there anymore.

As far as ordering online goes, in many cases the price works out close to the same because all shops out here charge $50 to use their FFL. So when i catch a good deal online I have to add in shipping and FFL transfer... and that normally brings the price right back up, so I buy it locally and don't have to wait.

I got a stupid deal on my Koenig 1911 by ordering through Big Sky Guns online, and that saved me a ton... about $450 from everyone else's prices... so sometimes it does pay to look around!

When the USP first came out, I wanted one pretty badly--the only place I could find that had the variant I liked asked full price so I paid it.

Course I was a single engineer in those days so it wasn't a big deal...

But most of the time, even back then, I shop(ped) around to find the best price.

I never do. I've got more guns than I could ever need, but always want more. What that means is that if I don't like the deal, there's not a gun in the world that I can't just turn and walk away from. I don't try to steal guns, but I will only pay what I think is a fair price.

It's all about supply and demand.
You will not find any "good deals" on AR-15's right now.
If so, please, do tell where!;)

D

I'll admit I paid MSRP for a Ruger LCP. Found one, liked it, liked it alot. They wouldn't budge on MSRP. After a few minutes of internal struggle, I checked my manhood at the door and went ahead and bought it....... :o

Don't regret it either.

Last edited:
It's all about supply and demand.
+1
For the first time EVER I paid more than MSRP... and I don't think I'll ever do it again. But there appeared to be a legitimate "shortage" of a certain gun, and it was also on the "most likely to be banned list", so I went ahead and paid about $15 over MSRP to "get one while I could". Calculated risk, relatively small margin-of-stupid by my own metrics, so I bought it and I won't look back.

Simple really.

Do you want the gun at the price they're asking - yes or no.

No matter how hard or how long you look someone will have found it a buck cheaper anyway. If it turns your crank - buy it...

I don't mind if it's a buck or two more expensive, but compare the cost of $625 to $899 for the same exact gun. Sure I want the gun but I can't get myself to shell out that kind of cash knowing if I look around I can get it cheaper and save at least $100 or more. I've ususally bought all my guns at Sportsman's Warehouse and didn't really shop around too much because I knew they were always well priced there. But now since they are out of stock on most all handguns and even the distributors are out, I'm forced to shop around which is really a good thing because I'm saving money and getting to know what a good deal and a bad deal looks like.

This is probably my best purchase, I bought a Para-Ordinance 'Big Hawg' with alloy frame that retails for $929 and got it on Gunbroker brand new never fired for $625! Funny thing about my gun is that it is all black like the photo below and the ones listed on the Para website have silver accents that I don't really care for.

PX1445EBphoto.gif

Last edited:
but compare the cost of $625 to $899 for the same exact gun.

That is a significant amount of price difference. Have you called Bud's and asked them when they will have this particular brand and model back in stock?

By the way I've never paid MSRP on a firearm ever.

Actually Bud's price is $725, about $100 more that I got it on Gunbroker. On average Buds seems to be about $100 more than the best Gunbroker deals, usually lower than most places, but sometimes $50 - $75 higher on some models, at least when compared to Internet searches for the same model. If I see a gun listed on Gunbroker for $100 less than Buds then I do an online search for that model and if all places are higher than Buds then I jump on the deal. But sometimes Buds has the price jacked up about $100 and other places are closer to Gunbroker, then not so good a deal.

The really best deals I've seen are guns that people bought and shot a few times and decided they didn't like them, then sell them on Gunbroker. That's what I'm really looking for now, guns shot about 20-50 times max. I've seen a bunch of really great deals like that on Gunbroker but none that I want to buy right now.

I find that Gunbroker is really tough to search. The search engine doesn't allow to search for partial words and just looking at the semi-auto category there are over 11,500 listings! I found my Big Hawg by luck as the listing didn't have any good key words and the photos and description were bad. It seems to take some time to find good deals that people don't catch because of bad descriptions but they are out there. I was lucky that the guy posted a Buy it Now price and I got it before everyone else saw it, especially those who just watch the auctions that are about to end.

Last edited:
While I try to save a buck I do not buy off the net... I take a net quote to my local dealer and ask them to give me their closest price and I buy from them...
Brent

The problem with that is most places won't take a quote from Gunbroker or E-bay, only gun stores that have to mark up because they have to pay rent, electricity, employees, inventory, etc...

I'm actually thinking about getting my FFL and selling only over the Internet on Gunbroker. It would be a nice stay at home job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back