Does anybody else make pic inventory of their guns?

M88

attachment.php

Don't want to get way to anal retentive here, but always thinking of what might happen if my guns are ever stolen, get destroyed in a fire, or even if I just somehow lost one. How do I prove to the insurance agent that yes I had xzy gun worth $xyz? There may well be other reasons why I at some point may want to prove I had xyz gun. As most of us do, I keep the receipt of every gun purchase, but that can be lost in a fire also. So I photocopy all gun receipts to a file, which then gets put in a folder in the cloud. I also take several pics of each gun, including one of the serial number, and store them in the cloud also. The pic above is an example. Does anybody else go to this extreme? Are there other gun nuts like myself that want to cover as many bases as I can think of?

Attachments

• 001 60DS.jpg
    001 60DS.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 473
I do a picture inventory as well as serial numbers and keep a disc as well as a hard copy of the serial numbers in 2 different places. Maybe a little over cautious but I just went through a mess with the insurance company with a break in and without documentation, they won't pay squat

Yep, records of everything. Even started logging pictures of range outings so I can go back and see results over time or vs other guns or bad days vs good etc.

I’ve never taken pics like that for that reason but I could probably produce a pic every gun I own just because I’ve taken pics to discuss about them over time. I’ve got all SN’s saved several ways as well as the SN’s of my fathers guns. He is also the only other person that knows the combination to my safe.
Eddietruett, what about Guns that were handed down as heirlooms and no receipts were handed down with them but the steel frame is found in the ashes of a burned house? Would insurance pay on that condition?

Taking pictures like that for insurance purposes is a great idea. My pictures include gun along with the sales receipt that shows the serial number and my name. I store it on my computers, iPhone, and in the cloud. I do the same for all my expensive items (watches, electronics, bicycles). I’ve never had to file an insurance claim, but I’m prepared if I have to.

Yep. Photos, serial numbers, when and for how much it was purchased, or from whom it was inherited if applicable. Insurance companies, law enforcement, and heirs could all find it useful in different situations.

I keep a list of SN's. I have pics of many of my guns, but not all. But thanks for the idea. I'll take good photos of all of them and save them. Hadn't thought of that.

Great idea. I have a serial number list and description stored electronically in two locations. Will have to add pictures now.

Have Numbers Run

I use an Excel spread sheet with two back up's. My FFL will run numbers for me to make the "title" is clear on my fire arms. The deal is the firearm has to in at his business. The understanding is the firearm has to be turned over to authorities if stolen. He continued that few people appear to keep numbers on long guns.

I need to do pictures since there are several custom muzzle loaders included in my assortment.

Last edited:
Remember when video cameras first came out people who owned them made a little extra money by videoing a families valuables and giving them the video tape.
Several of you said for insurance purposes, do you have a special rider covering them? My standard homeowners policy will only pay a max of $2500. You should check out your coverage.

^ yes Collectible Insured doesn’t require info on file but does need pics and serial # for claim filed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downside to keeping an inventory?

I'm sure there are many reasons other than insurance for making a video or pic of your collection. I just can't think of something off hand. Probably something related to them being stolen and used in a crime or something along those lines. Yes, depending on your house or rental insurance, especially if it only covers a few thousands dollars, having proof of your gun collection that would cost significantly more than your coverage dictates to replace them would be a mute point. I would suspect just from the responses in this forum that most of us could not replace our guns for just a few thousand dollars. For many of us it would be a serious expense should we have to. Haven't thought of this, but would there ever be a downside to having all that detailed information in one spot? For me personally, the pic inventory is as much a peace of mind thing than anything else. I'm one of those "just in case" folks, even if some would say I go to far with that.

2wheelwander-I'm hitting the old fogey button here...that "Personal Firearms Record Book" looks VERY nice but the $24 price tag has my inner Scrooge cringing. "Why when I was young $24 would buy you..." you get the idea.

My standard homeowners policy will only pay a max of $2500. You should check out your coverage.

This is something I've been "meaning to get around to" and maybe I'll make it a New Year's resolution or maybe I'll just DO IT Monday morning and be done with it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'll take good photos of all of them [the guns] and save them.

I am constantly amazed at the number of folk here on this site that take marvelous pictures of their guns. It's not as easy as it looks. I have a lot of respect for their skill. For anybody trying to do this they have shared their techniques of using light boxes, macro settings, f-stops and shutter speeds in several posts over the years. The search function might unearth these threads.

Remember when video cameras first came out people who owned them made a little extra money by videoing a families valuables and giving them the video tape.

A lunch buddy of mine wanted to get into this business. Tongue in cheek he said we'd not waste time and money video taping our clients possessions, we'd wait until they had their disaster and then we'd go to stores and video tape the stuff they wanted.

It is a bit pricey DaleA, but its a quality binder. Not saying its not overpriced, but it is decent and a well thought out design.

My homeowners covers $5k. Anything more than that and I need a separate policy, which IIRC is 2% cost of the coverage I want. IOW, a $20k policy would run me $400/year.

A nice safe then pays for itself in a few years

Back