Does an M14 really "turn cover into concealment"? Part 2: brake disc

Andrew Wiggin

So in the concrete block test, 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm were both able to penetrate the block but both had little energy left over after passing through. This time around, let's say the "cover" in question is a brake disc. Given that M193 is known to penetrate steel Level III plates at close range (link) and M80 ball cannot, which will win? M193, M855, or M80? 16" AR and 22" M1A. Distance will be about 25 yards. Brake disc is the combination rotor and hub from the front axle of a 2004 F-150. Make your predictions before you watch the video.

Link to test video

I didn't watch the video.

I once shot a 357 magnum at an automotive brake rotor and it broke up easily using cast bullets at relatively close range. I think the material of the rotor is relatively brittle.

Plenty of pics online over the years showing a lot of different rounds penetrating rotors.

Plenty of times over the years that servicemen used the 40mm grenade launcher to get er done.

The premise of the discussion completely disregards the fact that the services have other resources, and that the selection of them thru the "Call for Fire" will deliver more than enough penetration when needed.

To paraphrase a "Sgt. Rock" "illustrated novel," you guys are still thinking in fractions of an inch. In Vietnam, 26" naval guns were sometimes available.

The view that one lone shooter has to do it all is where the flaws start.

Make your predictions, then watch the video. You might be surprised.

I didn't do this to make any over arching point about US small arms. Just shooting stuff and comparing the two cartridges. As a certain old guy likes to say, "Shooting stuff is fun."

there was a photo in the 80s Marlin catalogue that showed a 3/8" cold rolled steel plate, shot with a .30-30, .308, and .35 Rem. (standard commercial hunting ammo, NOT any kind of AP).

The .308 and the .35 Rem both punched nice holes all the way through. The .30-30 left a crater in the plate.

Maybe comparing the .308 to the .223 is looking the wrong way. Maybe you ought to be looking at the .308 (7.62 NATO) vs. the .30 Russian (7.62x39mm) for "turning cover into concealment".

A surprising result.
I guessed that the disc would have cracked and maybe even broken up from the onslaught of rifle rounds.
Especially considering the discs can do that from the wear and tear of just being brakes.
Wonder if modern manufacturing techniques are better, resulting in stronger parts?
So, when are you going to add a .50 to the repertoire?

As soon as someone buys me one. :D

I was surprised, too, but it's important to note that this is a particularly beefy example. I think there is a good chance that both rounds would have gone straight through a thinner rotor.

For the record, most folks age two and older are not concealable behind a brake rotor.

:D

Yes, but think of them suspended from a bungee cord around your neck, front and rear, as a form of body armor... For that "Iron Man effect," you could mount a Harbor Freight give-away flashlight in the center of the bearing boss for illumination at night on your way to the privy. ;)

Last edited:
Bullet design makes a difference. Many decades ago, my father played with his '06 on a thin piece of armor plate from a WW II airplane. (3/8", +/-.)

GI Ball would make a bulge in the back side with a jagged-edge crater and not penetrate. The same powder charge behind a 150-grain Hornady Spire Point would blow on through, leaving a 3/4" hole.

Several years ago, a cousin built a one bedroom apartment in the end of a retired poultry house, to use as temporary quarters while he built a house a hundred yards away.

We used to set up bullet traps in the un-used part of the chicken house to use for pistol practice. When he finished the house, he was going to bulldoze the chicken house. On our last shoot in the chicken house, we decided to shoot up the kitchen and bathroom because that's what red necks do. Using .45 ACP lead SWC, we tested penetration on common household items.

If some one is shooting at you, DO NOT attempt to hide behind a toilet! After the bullet passes through, you will get hit with a bullet and a hundred pieces of ceremic shrapnel. Neither a refrigerator, kitchen sink, kitchen cabinets or wash basin will stop slow flying bullets.

The only one item in the house that would stop my 200 gr lead bullet at 800 fps was the water heater, until the water drained out. Then it would not stop such a bullet.

I grab the used rtors from my office, usually f-350 ambulances, huge. the 54r steel core blows right through them. nice clean holes

Respectfully, I don't consider a brake disc either concealment or cover.

But I do think shooting things is fun. :)

Back