Does a 40mm grenade launcher kick?

HunterT

Inactive
I'm wondering does a 40mm M79 grenade launcher have bad recoil? I shoot a 12 gauge quite often. Is the recoil softer or harder than that of a 12 gauge. Looking for people that have actually fired a grenade launcher.

I fired the M-79 and it had minimal recoil, equivalent to a mild shotgun or BP rifle. It would make a nifty HD weapon with buckshot rounds.:cool:

Good Luck. :)

Really? I haven't shot the M79, but I've shot the M203, and to me, that was about as bad as 3" magnum 12 gauge.

Not quite as bad as shooting off parachute flares or star clusters, though.

On the other hand, I could shoot AT4s all day with no apparent ill effects from the blast, and I know people who hate those.

Thanks Ya'll.
An M-79 with buckshot... Sounds like a shotgun on steroids to me. I think it would work great for home defense! What kind of rounds can a civilian get for an M-79?

I've fired the M-203, recoil was pretty soft, not really more kick than the 5.56 round of the rifle itself. However, that was with practice rounds...should be about the same as a normal round, but don't know for sure.

The buckshot round I believe doesn't burst until it gets a couple yards from the launcher. If that is indeed the case, it would probably not be good for home defense.

I think a top break single shot is the last weapon I would choose for home defense,

Now if you were trying to break up a party a couple blocks away over the house tops the M79 would rule.

Mine doesn't kick too bad, but it's a modern folding-stock single shot one. I'd never bother using a single shot for a HD weapon, for what it's worth. ;)

Back