Do you think its true when people say.....

vyper005

"Whichever gun feels best in your hands...will be your most accurate"

I think so...Sigs feel the best in my hands and I do shoot them the best...My accuracy with various Glocks,HK's & Berettas has been pretty good but the funny thing is,I've put more rounds thru Glocks then any other manufacturer but still shoot Sigs better then any other gun right out of the box....It could be a combination of things besides the feel....Trigger,Weight,Recoil etc...who knows...So...How important is "feel" when you're buying a gun ?? Thanks...

Feeling good in your hands is a plus, but it isn't everything. You won't know until you test it out. :)

For me the single action on my P229 is so sweet I think that just has to be it. Personally, I actually prefer the Sig SA over a 1911 with a good trigger job. I shoot about the same with HK, Glock, Colt, or Beretta but the Sig I think, actually makes me a better shooter.

Picking on Glocks

Hello, I hear so many negatives about Glocks but like other posters I shoot my Glocks more than most of my other pistols. With the exception of High-Powers I shoot Glocks as well as all other pistols at combat ranges. I also rely on my Glocks for house guns. I like my Glock 19, 23, 27, and 30. I have never experienced a bobble with any of my Glocks using factory ammunition. Regards, Richard

I would say in general, yes, the pistol that fits better will point better for the shooter. On the other hand, people may favor a particular grip angle and not be aware of it. Among experienced shooters, I have heard that the tighter the tolerances, the tighter the groups - I'm not at that level yet, however.

Hey Richard,

Don't misunderstand my comments.

I said nothing about Glock's mechanical performance or reliability, which is generally exceptional.

I don't like the shape of the grip frame. I liked the First Generations a lot more, which had a less severe interior angle to the grip, and was thus a lot easier for me to hold.

I must not be the only one with this complaint, though, as Robar offers a service to completely recontour the grip.

Sounds to me like Shiro's got it

I can shoot the USPs and G30/21s very well - but having small hands, I enjoy (and own) pistols with smaller grips.

My G26 had a "slim job" done and it made a bunch of difference.

Giz

It intuitively follows that what feels best should be ergonomically better, and therefore shoot better, but two weeks ago I shot my H&K USP45C and Berettta 8045 Cougar side by side, and I definitely shot the H&K better (more accurately), even though the Couger feels 'better' (not to say that the H&K feels bad). I guess I'll just have to do some more research and see if it was a one day thing or what. M2

What do you mean by "feel"? Balance, weight, grip shape vs. your hand shape? I suspect you are talking about the grip shape.

Let's say you take three 1911's from the same maker, one with arched, one with straight grip housing, and a "bobcat". Or even better take a Walther P99 and heft it with three different backstraps. With everything else being equal the best shape will definitely help your accuracy, even if just a little bit.

I think you would feel more diff in fast shooting. Example: G-27 fits my hand much better than G-23/22. Stock, I can shoot it faster and better because other two try to shift in my hand. If I am shooting one handed with heavy loads G-23 will start twisting in my hand to the point that I have to stop and readjust the grip. That can be fixed with Hogue or skate board tape or Agrip, but you see my point.

I think a good feel in the hand helps but to me it's not that important. A Glock 21 doesn't feel good to me but I can shoot one OK. I once had a S&W 459 that felt like a 2x4 but I shot it pretty good. A Browning Hi Power has one of the best feeling grips IMO but I've never shot one really well. Most BHPs I've shot had pretty heavy triggers which I believe matters more than the "feel" factor. Good trigger, good sights, and to some extent good feel all help you shoot more accurately.

"Ergonomics" (or "feel") can and do influence accuracy, but they are not the only factor. The mechanicals of the handgun are a big factor. Look at it this way...if ergonomics was the paramount factor in accuracy, then a shooter should always get equal accuracy out of two identical model firearms. We all know cases where serial # XXX1 tears ragged holes and serial # XXX2 patterns rather than groups. Another example, I can hand a buddy one of my pistols at the range, and he can proceed to duplicate my group size despite not caring for the feel of the gun.

Where ergonomics becomes extremely important, IMO, is in the manipulation of operating controls. Putting all shots in a tiny group is nice and something we all strive for, but the ability to operate a handgun quickly, effectively, safely and confidently is, I propose, even more important. I think ergonomics plays a huge role here.

So yes, "feel" is important, but not necessarily as the overriding factor in accuracy.

Sub

I don't agree...........

I have to go along with what Clint Smith said
about a handgun.
"A pistol is supposed to be comforting not
comfortable."
The Mauser broomhandles and Lugers feel comfy in
my hand but I cannot shoot them worth a darn..
Some of the Polymer pistols don't feel all that
comfortable in my hand but I can shoot them the
best...
I think trigger control and sight alignment are
Paramount to good shooting..

Something to it, IMO

Accuracy comes from practice. I know of no other substitute.

Practice is somewhat related to the "feel" of the pistol, in my opinion. If a gun "beats you up" every time you pull the trigger, then you aren't likely to work out with it very often.

Based on that, I don't believe it is a stretch to state that fit and feel are somewhat tied to accuracy.

Back