Do you think it's possible to special order a shorter barrel length from Ruger?

Kentucky Rifle

I'm beginning to like the .32 H&R magnum. I also fondled a SP-101 in .38 special at my gun shop. Nice! I looked on the Ruger site but they only offer a 3 inch barrel in .32 mag. Think they would make a two inch barrel?
Just wondering.

KR

Ruger doesn't have an e-mail address, they claim they don't have the staff necessary to handle e-mails.
You can call them though, 520-778-6555. Let us know what you find out.

You bet, guys...

I'll call them monday and I'll post what they tell me. I don't expect Ruger to do this for free, however I kind of look at almost every pistol I buy as a potential carry piece. Another .32 mag that is a little heavier would be nice to shoot on the days my hands hurt. Another great snubby is just the ticket. If they can't do it, the three inch barrel will be OK too. (Providing I can find a good holster for it.) I began to like Rugers when my wife got a 6 inch barrel, stainless steel, single six .22 mag. It's built like a tank. When we go to the range, she warms up with the Ruger before going on to the higher calibers. HMMmmmm. Could that be the reason she almost always outshoots me? My wife is one of those "natural shots" you hear about. Just great from the word go. (But she STILL turned over an open bottle of Hoppe's on the carpet!:p Hey! A guy has to say SOMETHING to "unbruise" his ego.):)

KR

C.R. Sam---

It liked to put us in the grave! Our dogs wouldn't even come in. She hit the open bottle of Hoppe's with the handle of a cleaning rod. Believe me. She has ALWAYS put the cap back on after that little episode. :) (Hee heee!)

KR

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. I'm sure you can order a special run of guns as some distributors often do (Horton comes to mind), but I don't know about a single gun.

Coming from a manufacturing background, I know that setup charges can be considerable.

Be prepared for sticker shock.....

Last year I sent a letter to Ruger explaining that after playing with Vaqueros, Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks I thought that they needed to make a fixed sight Blackhawk with a rear blade dovetailed into the frame and a blade front sight for those of us who actually carry (and sometimes drop) a handgun in the field.

Ruger sent back a nice letter explaining that they would forward my idea to their product development office (flush....) but that they didn't offer custom work at that time. And they sent me a Ruger patch:p

FWIW

Rick

Won't hurt to ask, but doubt if Ruger (or any other manufacturer) will make you a non-standard bbl. length. S&W and maybe Colt once did, but no more. Well, heck: I know danged well that Colt did, at least on the SAA: that's where those Buntline Special guns came from. And we've surely all seen the famous letter from Bat Masterson wanting a 4.75-inch bbl. before Colt routinely made that length...
However, in this case, if I wanted a .32 when I could have the gun in the more effective .38 Special, I think I'd opt for the nominally three-inch bbl. to get the velocity up to a respectable level. For what it's worth, I think I read that Geco's wadcutter is among the hottest standard .32 Long ammo. That gun takes the .32 H&R Magnum, though. I'd still choose the longer barrel.
If you get the .32, let us know how it does, especially if you take small game with it. Of course, it'll kill venomous snakes. It's mainly the two-legged threats and wild dogs, etc. that leave me thinking the .38 is normally the better choice in a small revolver.

Lone Star

Lone Star...

You could be right. However, I already own several .38's. The .32 H&R mag doesn't hurt my arthritic hands as much as a +P .38 snub. Besides, I always thought that a .32 mag was stronger than a regular, non +P .38. At least that's what Tamara says. (And she's usually right about such things.)
At the next big Louisville show, I'm going to buy a pair of shooting gloves. The kind with the fingers cut out. Hopefully, that will cut down on the joint problem. My wife could see I had a problem about two years ago. I only admitted it about two or three months ago. It's a bummer. The odd thing about it all is that not everything that recoils hurts. My Glock 27 doesn't hurt at all. Maybe I just need "fat grips". If there's anyone else who has to deal with the same problem, I'd be really interested in your solution.

Thanks,
KR

I use shooting gloves with my .44mag's, but they aren't shooting gloves, thay are weight lifting gloves from walmart. They work good and are cheap. I can't find shooting gloves to fit me, but the small weight lifting gloves work like a charm.

Whiskey...

As much as I dislike Walmart, I'll go and try a pair today. Or maybe Dick's Sporting Goods.
Dick's is closer. I've been a little embarrassed to admit it to my e-friends, but my doctor says that I have "crippling arthritis" and it's only going to get worse. Damn! I hated to admit that!

Kentucky Rifle

Back