Do you leave alloy in the pot?

paulsnapp

Inactive
I was just wondering what the best practice is for shutting down a melting pot. After I am done casting, do I drain all remaining alloy out of the pot, leave anything that is left over in the pot and just heat up next time, fill the pot to some level before shutting down? If I am to drain the pot, is there any cleaning that needs to be done before putting the pot away? Thanks for any advice!

...fill the pot to some level before shutting down? If I am to drain the pot, is there any cleaning that needs to be done before putting the pot away?
I and as far as I know, almost all casters leave lead in the pot. emptying, refilling the pot before casting wastes time. We concern ourselves with casting more, shooting more than such things.:)
Nevertheless, refiling the pot before shutting down is generally though to enable a faster "get-back-up-to" casting temperature when starting again.
"...cleaning...and putting away...", are not in my vocabulary. The pot stays where it is, cleaning (the pot) is only something that is done when Queen Elizabeth is expected for tea (never, why bother).

Last edited:
I always leave the pot about half full, and put a SMALL amount of oil on the unfilled portion of the inside. It cuts down on the rust that likes to form there, but it also smokes a little when starting the next casting session.

No need

Just shut it off, no matter how full or empty it is. In fact, an empty pot takes a LOT longer to melt lead that's put in it. That's because an empty pot does not have full contact with ingots or scrap bullets as it heats up.

No need to test that last statement, but if you're really bored some time, record how long a ½ pot of lead takes to come up to temp. then next time you empty it to clean it, record how long it takes to melt loose lead up to casting temp.

Oh yes, it's sometimes time to thoroughly clean any lead furnace/pot. Dirt and oxides DO build up on the inside of the pot, trapped there by the weight of the lead. Draining it if it's a bottom pour into ingot molds, then tipping it when it stops flowing will get most of the lead out. Then heavy gloves to pick it up and tip it over, gets the rest of it.

leave it in

paul

I cast till I don't want to continue. Let pot cool with whatever is left at the moment. Wipe the top and exposed sides clean with a damp rag. Then I spray the top and exposed inside with some Rem oil. I use that because it is the oil I have in aerosol. I'll use what I have when that is gone. As Shootest said, It will smoke at next start up, but not for long.

That is my routine. While I only have, I'd say under 5K, through that pot, it is still looking like new.

I leave em full. I only use pure lead in one and alloy in the other, but I don't empty them unless it's time to scrape the pot. (not very often.)

I drain my pot. It's a bottom pour one. (Lyman Mag 20) I also use more than one lead blend which requires the need to do. Soft lead for the smoke poles. Lyman #2 for my rifles. And pure lino for my pistols with paper targeting in mind. When its drained and cooled. I'll take it apart and do a quick wire brush chucked in my drill job on it. I like a clean pot for my next casting session. That's just my preference is all.

Leave leftover lead in the pot unless I feel it needs cleaning-may try that someday. If you use more than one alloy it may be a good idea to make a note of the alloy with a Sharpie on the cooled surface.

Back