Do You Hunt with a Mini 30?

vitesse9

Just used mine to take a hog a few weeks ago. I'm thinking that with proper ammo it's not a bad little brush gun. Anyone else hunt with theirs? How's it do?

I don't but some do...a good soft point and keep the range to 100 yards or less IMO because the mini-30 is not an accurate gun by my standards...I am sure it will kill farther, but it would be a good woods gun where the shots are close and the short handy little rifle shines...

Hey Vitesse9......... I think the 7.62x39mm is a good short range bang....

I bought a CZ-527 and not only does she look sweet but at a 100 yards she puts fear in Michigan Whitetails....... well, she works real good anyhow :D The 527 in 7.62x39 is a great brush gun here in Michigan. I would guess about 75% of the deer taken are 100 yards or less. The shot needs to be put into the boiler room or the ventilation dept. if you get my drift? The ballistic charts for some of the Ammunition Companies show it real close with 30-30 ballistics. I know some will argue not enough but for me I say 100 or less yards it's plenty. The longest tracking job was 40 yards...and good blood trail all the way.

I almost got the Ruger but I talked myself into a bolt action the last minute... It is important for me to shoot good American ammunition thru her. That Wolf, Bear and Sellier and Bellot stuff just don't get it for me. I have tried the Golden Bear and of the 3 listed it hasn't failed but the other 2 tend to urk me off.... Remington has a good hunting 125g. soft point that within limitations for me (100) yards hasn't failed to bring deer down. I also have a Russian SKS from about 11-12 years ago. It is a fun one to shoot and I admit I have taken 3 deer with it. I always get a lot of folks looking at me like I am a fool taking that out... After they get to know that I am a fool and still make good clean shots the folks calm down a bit and just deal with me......

I think the Ruger is a good one too...someday I wouldn't mind having one. :D

not bad

i dont know that particular gun but i do have some experience with the little russian round. id say that within 100 yards with some 120-125 grain softpoints it would be a neat little deer gun fast handling is a big thing in the woods i tried to use my savage 110L in .270 and that is not a bush gun especially with a 3-9X40 scope on it

Mini 30

I don't know about the Mini-30, but I do know about the 7.62x39 round.
my first SW Florida wild hog was taken with an SKS and cheap Wolf FMJ ammo when I was 12. My first deer was a year later with the same gun and ammo. Both were right about 100 yards out. IF the rifle is accurate enough, the round is plenty potent enough, even with crappy ammo. ;)

Oh the joy in your post :D I have hunted pigs for a long time and the Ruger mini 30 with 122gr HPs is the best!!! I'm glad you found the mini 30 for pig hunting. It don't get no better than that. I have used lever guns, AR type guns and shot guns. The only other gun I really like that brought me to the mini 30 is the M1 carbine with hand loads (110 HPs). But because of the 7.62x39 the Ruger mini 30 is better. Good luck with the pigs! They are fun to hunt one on one in the thick brush.

Back