Do you change your mode of carry with the seasons?

Doug.38PR

Does anyone here change their mode of carry between summer and winter?

I usually go from wearing a hip holster in the summer under a sport coat to wearing a shoulder holster in the winter.
1) it's hard to wear a shoulder holster in the summer, cuts off air circulation. In the winter, it actually keeps you warmer.
2) it's hard to wear a hip holster in the winter when you are wearing jackets and windbreakers in place of a longer but thinner sport coat.
3) Shoulder holsters look more militant and hostile to people (when they see you, like if someone comes over to the house while you have your coat off) than a hip holster. "OMGsh," they think, "why do you have that holster all over you!" On the other hand, with the coat on, they do conceal the gun a little better than a hip holster.

Do I change carry modes with the seasons?

Nope, not really. Well, ok, some.

Mostly, I go IWB. Sometimes, pocket carry if what I'm wearing has large enough pockets. I end up doing more pocket carry in the winter, because the pockets on my jacket/coat allows me to do so.

I go IWB in both seasons.....I get too hot in the summer and winter to wear jackets or thick enough shirts to cover up anything else such as shoulder holsters......

For the most part I never change modes of carry. Depending on the outfit of the day, I may carry IWB instead of OWB, but usually even that is not necessary for me.

Yes

It gets hot here in North Carolina. Wearing a jacket or even a vest in the summer would stand out like a naked lady at a monk's convention. Summer time I change mode of carry depending on what I am wearing with the best concealment offered by the Action Direct Deep Cover (an undershirt shoulder holster). I have just received my Texas Heritage for my Glock 30 and will try to get accustomed to IWB but it feels rather stange (at the moment).

John
Charlotte

I go from IWB in summer time to SOB in late fall and winter when i wear a heavier coat its easier to get to the SOB with the coat on than to try a pull the coat up or i have to leave it unzipped

I generally carry a Sig 2340 in a Fist Kydex holster when it is cold enought to wear a coat or sweater ( about 9months out of the year in Upstate NY). In the summer I carry a S&W 65-5 with a set of Bahrami Hip Grips. Ajax used to sell them. They allow you to clip your gun to your waist band without a holster. Great for carrying with just a T-shirt on, and surprisingly comfortable. Of course there not a fast as a traditional holster. Sometimes I might through my Kahr 9mm in my pocket if I'm just running to the store.

Only thing that really changes is my outer garmets. Most of the summer I either wear short sleeve button down shirts( unbuttoned) or my tactical nerd 5.11 vest. Spring/fall once again is the vest over a button down long/short sleeve or over a zip up hooded sweater. Winter time is my heavier winter jacket.

In summer, short as it is up here, I try to dress in the most minimal way possible and carry my Seecamp 32.

In winter, when Im overloaded with clothes, I try to keep my weight down and carry my seecamp 32

WildsometimeswillcarrysomethinelseforsportbutnotoftenAlaska

Back