Do you change your buffer springs for different types of ammo?

Tool

Below is from the Daniel Defense website:

"The red spring is to be used when running your Daniel Defense PDW unsuppressed while utilizing subsonic ammunition. The silver spring, or standard spring, is meant to be used for unsuppressed fire with supersonic ammo or suppressed fire with either subsonic or supersonic ammo."

Nope. Anything for a dollar. But I can see possible differences for suppressed tuning. But regarding your title "Do you change your buffer springs for different types of ammo?", no.

No, but in these days of cheap lowers and parts, I have several identical lowers with different weight buffers in place that are not committed to a particular upper and that I swap out for different caliber uppers and sometimes between shooting subsonic and supersonic loads in the same caliber.

Last edited:
No, you do not generally change springs based on ammo.

You can change springs and buffer weights to tune bolt speed. This can smooth out recoil impulse and brass ejection pattern. Most people dont bother with it. And it could make your rifle less reliable if done wrong.

In any case, you cannot tune a rifle and determine if it could use a heavier spring or buffer until you have shot it and observed where your brass is ejecting on your individual build. And i would personally not even consider doing this until you have at least a couple hundred rounds through the rifle.

And I would tune buffer weight far before i touched springs. Buffers last about forever. Buffer springs wear out abd need replaced. I want the cheap common spring, not some specialty spring i can only order from 1 place. If you wanted to be able to tune this kak configurable buffer system lets you go from lighter than carbine all the way up to h3. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025731716

As far as the info you found it refers specifically to the DD PDW. if you look that up, its a very non standard ar with a non standard buffer tube and its chambered in 300 blackout. That information would not apply to a standard ar.

Last edited:
A $20 adjustable gas block beats drawer full of springs. A spring just needs to strong enough to ensure reliable feeding. Adjust the gas for reliable extraction and ejection. Don't worry the ejection patterns much. Function first.

I like to adjust the gas so that the buffer just barely bottoms out on the buffer tube. It is the optimum point. Reliable cycling with no added recoil. For "mission critical", which I don't have any, I would turn up the gas slightly.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A $20 adjustable gas block beats drawer full of springs. A spring just needs to strong enough to ensure reliable feeding. Adjust the gas for reliable extraction and ejection. Don't worry the ejection patterns much. Function first.

-TL

Never seen a $20 adjustable gas block, in my experience they have been $60 and up. An adjustable gas block is also a LOT more commitment and work to put on than swapping a spring or buffer weight.

Main thing is, does it lock open on an empty mag reliably. If your gas is adjusted down too far, or your buffer is too heavy or spring too strong to where it will not reliably lock the bolt back when firing the last round in the magazine, then you need to back off your adjustment.

but again, you need to shoot it, to assess it, to see if it needs anything at all, or if it would even be worthwhile to do anything.

Never seen a $20 adjustable gas block, in my experience they have been $60 and up. An adjustable gas block is also a LOT more commitment and work to put on than swapping a spring or buffer weight.

Main thing is, does it lock open on an empty mag reliably. If your gas is adjusted down too far, or your buffer is too heavy or spring too strong to where it will not reliably lock the bolt back when firing the last round in the magazine, then you need to back off your adjustment.

but again, you need to shoot it, to assess it, to see if it needs anything at all, or if it would even be worthwhile to do anything.
Love to sell you $40 each. How many do you want? :)

They are not the most fancy type. Needs Allen wrench to adjust. No click. Low profile and works fine.

-TL

I was swapping uppers on a lower that was set up for 223. The new upper in 6.5 Grendel worked just fine. It’s a small sample size though.

shadow i'm with tango, how many do you want? the cheep ones are $20 each but i'll sell them to you for $60 if you want to pay that... :)))

shadow i'm with tango, how many do you want? the cheep ones are $20 each but i'll sell them to you for $60 if you want to pay that... :)))
No. I offered him $40 first, and have been looking forward to the 100% profit margin :)

-TL

Yes, but then I know what I am doing too. :)

Swapping out a buffer/spring combo is easier than adjusting a gas block and it removes a potential failure point. Adjustable gas is a band aid for a gas port that is too large, but, adjustment of ARs is not something done by most people. Just run it overgassed and undersprung and it will work until it does not...and for most, that is going to be after they have left this life.

shadow9mm said:
And I would tune buffer weight far before i touched springs.

That's what I did to remedy overgassing. It's easy and effective. I've even made a couple of overweight rifle buffers by removing the spacer and adding steel or tungsten weights. It makes for gentle and gradual recoil.

I've had one notable success with adjustable gas blocks, and a couple of underwhelming results. I use a Superlative Arms gas block on a midlength 16" pencil barrel with a buffer from which all weights are removed and a reduced power buffer spring and a lightweight bolt carrier. It's 5 pounds 7 ounces with the optic. Recoil reminds me of a 22magnum bolt action I used to use for pests, snappy but very light.

I also have used a free set screw type on a 13.7" midlength, 13.7" carbine, 16" rifle and 20" rifle all with standard springs and empty buffers. My results were not spectacular. Even the slowest bolt speeds that would lock back on a magazine had more recoil than I thought I should get. Maybe the reduced power spring was more important than I thought.

Have a link?

tangolima said:
I can't see how adjustable gas block be more work.

By itself it should be less work, but it does invite complementary tinkering with the other components.

Anderson Manufacturing also makes a suppressor only gas block with a .055 gas port. I understand this to be correct for a 10.5 carbine barrel and suppressor. The gas port is conical, large at the barrel and small near the gas tube. It's fairly easy to drill by hand to an approximately correct diameter, but it's a one way adjustment.

I thought about trying one on a 16 inch carbine barrel, but my result with an adjustable gas block and 13.7 inch carbine barrel were so bad that I shelved the idea.

First off, I suspect this is a Colt 6721 HBAR upper based on this thread https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618762 . That makes a low profiled adjustable gas block much less of a viable option as it permanently removes the front sight.

One other option would be the BRT eztune gas tubes. They restrict the gas flow. could be an ez swap for a new used, just a roll pin. https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Configurable-Carbine-p103167251

Lastly, based on several posts I have seen, the OP is very new to the AR platform. While you and I may not think twice about driving out taper pins, lining up a gas block, drilling for a roll pin(if it is holding the handguard on), it may be well beyond the OP's current level of ability and probably need.

and there are those that don't realize that the buffer retaining pen is spring loaded on most models... but a learning curve is what it is.

Oh the A2 front sight base. That doesn't work. There is way to modify the FSB to make it adjustable, but let's not go there.

In this case spring and buffer weight would be the option left.

-TL

and there are those that don't realize that the buffer retaining pen is spring loaded on most models... but a learning curve is what it is.

I don't even use them anymore.

I can't see how adjustable gas block be more work.

The title of the thread...

Do you change your buffer springs for different types of ammo?

Takes what, 10 seconds to change a buffer and or spring.

With a gas block, it is adjust, proof, etc. They are not a wear free item and over time, their settings need to be re-tuned.

The only way they are not MORE work is if you only use one load and don't shoot often.

Back