Do you buy just a few types: even twins, triplets etc?

With two FR8s, and five Enfields, plus a Garand and two others, it is interesting to read whether some milsurp shooters only focus on a few main types.

It is also hard to beat an SKS, due to its use of the best non-corrosive, center-fire ammo prices, and the major improvement after installing a Tech Sight: now a very different rifle.
As for people wanting a pair of the same type, or more, this can be a different sort of question.

This is as close to twins as I get.

twins01.jpg

There are dozens and dozens of Lee Enfield variations, they may look alike to the novice eye but they are different. Same can be applied to the Mauser line of rifle on an even larger scale.

I have a small collection of Yugo Mausers and that can end up to be a dozen or more if you get the different variants.

Look at all the different Garands, Carbines, 03's, 03A3's and M1917's. That could be several dozen different rifles.

I started out focusing on pre-WWII bolt action rifles, but then Winchesters started catching my eye. And various odds and ends of other stuff.

Still, my military collection is mostly bolt action rifles, with a bunch of Winchesters on the side. I've got maybe ten different Mosin Nagants, 8 or 9 Mausers from various countries, three SMLEs and a couple of M1903s, along with one-offs of other interesting bolt-actions. And, hooray, the CMP finally got my order for a Garand!

I do have a couple of SKS's because they're a hoot to shoot.

MCB is spot on the nose, as usual. A guy could end up with a pretty fair arsenal of just one model of gun if he wanted all the variations, and Mausers are great examples of just that.

Although I am interested buy the history of my milsurp C&R firearms, I mainly by them as "cheap shooters". Therefor I don't have any theme to my collection. Mausers, SMLE, M/N, 1895 Steyr, MAS 49/56 and MAS 36, K31, SKS, and a similar array or C&R handguns.

OCD: Better living through mulitple purchases of the same thing.

If one's good, five's better.:D

All this from a guy who had close to 125 Lee-Enfields before I started selling them off.:o

When I started collecting decades ago I wanted nice, shootable examples of firearms (rifles and pistols) from major and minor world powers between WW-I through WW-II. Over the years, this has expanded to pre WW-I and post WW-II (oldest now 1862 lock dated Snyder, newest L1A1). I also got sucked into sporters (mostly Savages) and .22LR and Centerfire target rifles.

It didn't help one bit that I wandered off from just simple reloading into wildcatting ... which is another issue.

I have 2 Galils, but they're Fraternal Twins, one has the folding metal stock and the other has all wood furniture. I had to get my wife a S&W 469, so I could get mine back from her. :D

I try not to buy two of the same year and manufacture ... closest twins I've got are these two below - 1927 and 1928 Lithgow No1's - only 3200 produced of each per calender year.

25ip7o3.jpg

11rwvmr.jpg

Tiki.

Back