Do you avoid manufacturers because of the country of origin?

I'd be happy to buy either a Soviet or Russian made Dragunov.
I'd also buy a surplus one if it was from Ukraine.

The only thing bad is the Trade Balance with the outflow of wealth from our nation oveseas. Back in the late '60s they used to mention that on the news but most Americans are happily ignorant of it today.

I avoid some guns due to their provenance which is somewhat related to their country of origin, but I don't boycott the products of entire countries. For example, while they have great collector interest, I will not buy a gun with SS runes or Nazi party markings for a few reasons. Obviously the majority of such guns are of German origin, but I have no problem with buying German-made guns which lack Nazi provenance.

I don't avoid guns from Turkey, or anywhere else, I avoid guns that don't appeal to me, no matter where they are made.

There are quite a few cases where the same gun design has been made by different factories in different countries, and sometimes that does mean a difference in quality.

I do have some guns from various "evil" regimes, and nations that were our enemies at the time the guns were made and used. They, like flags, medals, swords, daggers, and even canteens, are historical artifacts, not current political symbols to me. They mean nothing other than the fact that we have them because they LOST!

I have never understood the people who cannot, or worse, will not see that.

I started to say I would avoid anything from the Khyber Pass region like the plague. But, if dollars were a bit more forthcoming in my life, I wouldn't mind tearing a few of them down to see what their workings and guts really look like. I've never been able to do that, but the curiosity is there.

For example, some people don't buy guns made in Turkey.
Sometimes, yes. But, Turkey makes some decent economical guns. I would say I used to avoid Turkish guns more than I would now. I think, overall, the Turkish manufacturers are capable of making decent guns.

Czechoslovakia was once a communist nation, and I wouldn't have considered purchasing guns from that country some decades ago. Now, I don't think there are too many people who would avoid guns made by CZ!

Where was Lorcin, Jennings, Raven Arms and Jimenez made? U.S.A. And, USA makes some of the best firearms on the planet. Colt, Sig (made in USA now), S&W, high end AR's, Ruger, all capable of turning out some high quality firearms.

Sometimes its difficult, but judge the gun, not necessarily its place of origin.

One Taurus 94 in the accumulation, I like the little ten shooter a lot, I did need to repair it, a little chip was messing with the cylinder release, perfect after I got the bit of debris out of it. I did spend substantial time fluffing and buffing to lighten the trigger some. Firing double action will build your finger muscles. That is not a Taurus issue, it's a geometry issue, small frame .22 revolvers have heavy DA triggers, fact of life.
I'm with 44amp otherwise, care not one whit about country of origin. It's the gun, not the political ideology of those that made it.

I occasionally used to read critiques on these gun forums from posters who stated they wouldn’t buy any Kahr firearms because they were “Moonie guns”.
Never mind they have always been made in the USA by Americans.

I recently bought a SA35.Didn't know the slide and frame are both made in Turkey but it says made in USA. I would have bought it anyway. I am a bit disappointed tho.

I recently bought a SA35.Didn't know the slide and frame are both made in Turkey but it says made in USA.

The SA 35 is made in the US. The slide and the frame are made in the US. The entire pistol is made in the US, by Springfield.

The raw forgings for the slide and frame do come from Turkey. Springfield does the machining that makes the lump of steel into a slide or a frame. They MAKE it.

The gun is not made in Turkey.

I buy what ever appeals to me, without regard to country of origin. I snapped up a Norinco 1911 in the 80’s when they first came out. Got a MAK 90 back then too. When all the PD’s were buying Beretta 92’s, I got my first Taurus, a PT-99, because of the frame mounted safety, I was very accustomed to 1911’s and the slide mounted safeties or decockers just seemed weird to me.
More recently, I bought a Canik TP9sfx that I saw in a store case, on sale, knew nothing about Canik, hadn’t even heard of them, but I thought it was a cool pistol. It is the most accurate 9mm that I own.
The worst gun I ever bought was a Parker 1911, made in USA, and a total POS, literally a paper weight. I owned long enough to drive home, tried to shoot it, drove back to the shop and returned it. All in the space of about an hour.
Not to mention all the military surplus arms from other countries I’ve had.
I do believe that the United States produces many of the best firearms in the world and I have or had a bunch of them, but country of origin is way down on my list when shopping for guns.

Why would I avoid country guns? At the very least, I could buy them to expand my collection. I could say, 'Look at this cool gun I got from Japan.' Why would I ban a country?

Back