Do they still do Squeeze Bores?

rickyrick

I really don't know much about the subject, but I recalled today a distant memory of a squeeze bore being discussed in a documentary or something.

It was pre Internet (at least for me) but I was intensely interested in the subject. Not having any research material available at that moment caused me to forget about it.

I recall them being quite potent though.

Kinda like the inverse of the hollow-base bullet (Minié ball to .38 Special LWC): instead of expanding the bullet to the grooves, squeeze down the grooves.

Of course, it takes a squeezable projectile, and the goal in high velocity instead of great spin.

One of the may things tried with anti-tank guns that doesn't work well. Had to do with seriously increased MV as I recall.
Python's are not nor ever were squeeze bores. The big deal about Pythons is the factory done trigger job.

I seem to recall the concept having been used on some older bespoke English big-game rifles, but I may be confusing it with gain-twist rifling.

The US found that the same velocities could be reached without the squeeze. Part of this equation was likely based on powder evolution and slowing the powder burn rate to accelerate the bullet longer through the bore.

Back