Do Test Groups' MOA Size Change With Range?

Yes, 1 MOA is approx. 1" at 100 yards and therefore 1 MOA at 200 yards is approx. 2". It's the old angle of the dangle thing.. LOL..

NO

If the 100 yard 10 shot group is 1 MOA, will groups at greater ranges be the same?
General rule, is; Likely not to NO or at least don't expect it. There are just too many variables. I have ever seen bullets, in flight and wonder how I get the good groups, I do … :confused:

Be Safe !!!

They certainly can. Will they in your rifle with this ammo or that ammo? Maybe, maybe not. You have to test it before you can know.

"If the 100 yard 10 shot group is 1 MOA, will groups at greater ranges be the same?"
Maybe or NOT. The longer distances may challenge sighting capabilities(optic magnification, visual acuity) or increase environmental issues.

Yes, 1 MOA is approx. 1" at 100 yards and therefore 1 MOA at 200 yards is approx. 2". It's the old angle of the dangle thing.. LOL..
Exact trig value below was calculated to 102 decimal places for those wanting more precision:

830552235157457471965151538005004775737357536725837... inches at 100 yards.

Exactly one inch is good enough for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

In general usage, MOA is one inch per hundred yards. 1" at 100, 2" at 200, 10" at 1,000 yds.

A 1" group is MOA at 100yds, but 1/2" MOA at 200 yards.

I know Bart cites "compensation" which works when barrel vibrations are just right to launch a low velocity bullet at a higher angle than a high velocity bullet, letting them both land close together at extended range, therefore a source of the converging bullet phenomenon. The Brits knew about that when they still shot the .303 at targets. Seems to me this would also mean that they were farther apart at midrange than the base group or the final group.

But I think more of us would experience the "trumpet effect" where other variables cause groups to widen more than the short range angular.
A pistol shooter opined that 25 yard groups do not scale up to 50 yards where the NRA shoots, that a 2.4X factor was closer to observations.

Last edited:
You can shoot small group in practice but what counts is at match. Ask Bart he should know. Tell everyone how it felt to shoot next to last in biggest match as team member and that in the books. You couldn't pull off what your posting about.

You can shoot small group in practice but what counts is at match. Ask Bart he should know. Tell everyone how it felt to shoot next to last in biggest match as team member and that in the books. You couldn't pull off what your posting about.
It felt good calling every shot center using wind corrections from the coach during the worst wind conditions ever shot in the match. We used between 20 and 35 MOA sight settings from windage zero. My job was to fire each shot aimed at bullseye center, I did that.

All of which is beyond comprehension by n'er-do-wells who don't grasp the subject posted. Someone always shoots the low scores in team matches and such has nothing to do with exterior and interior ballistic variables' effects on bullet trajectories.

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, bullets don't travel in a perfectly straight line, but in a spiral, due to imperfections and precession, like a top tends to travel in a spiral.

This precession has been plotted by installing perfectly-aligned targets out to several hundred yards, then shooting at the closest one and measuring where that bullet (or several bullets) impact subsequent targets, (accounting for drop).

Bullets also tend to "go to sleep" at some point in flight and the precession decreases.

A bullet's spiral is not huge and better bullets travel in tighter spirals than poor bullets or those that have impacted twigs, etc.

You can choose not to believe this and I won't be angry (but it's true).

Contrary to popular belief, bullets don't travel in a perfectly straight line, but in a spiral, due to imperfections and precession, like a top tends to travel in a spiral.
What is the spiral sizes in MOA at 100, 200 and 300 yards with the best, most uniform bullets?

MOA increases with flight time, or range. The culprit is gravity.

When stating group size in MOA, it is generally assumed range of 100yd, or specified otherwise. That's what I do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Picher is right on , bullets do not travel in a liner path . They are rotating around the straight path , that is why groups are round . There are many factors that will change the figures and ranges some what , but a good rule of thumb is 1 at 100 , 2.8 at 200 and 4.5 at 300 yards . After that the bullet does start to settle and the group sizes will start to get smaller percentage wise . There are many factors that will move the scale up or down . National bench rest champion shooters shoot 2.8x larger at 200 yards that 100 . If you do not then there is something wrong with your 100 yard load or you should be teaching the champs how to do it .

Picher is right on , bullets do not travel in a liner path . They are rotating around the straight path , that is why groups are round.
If you shoot a couple hundred shots in a group, will most be in the outer third of its diameter?

The outer third comprises about 55percent of the area of a circle. Assuming random dispersion, then yes. My limited observations are, however, that in a larger number of shots, most are clustered closer to the center of the group.

Last edited:
Back