Do SWAT teams or police use automatic weapons?

I like the MP5. So reliable and you can put a small burst on target so easily.

Even though its 9mm, its hard to believe that a 3-5 round burst from this weapon will not stop the target. The best thing about it is that you can put a few bursts on the target in seconds.

You can easily pump 6-10 bullets on the target with two quick coordinated bursts. I dont think anything is going to survive with 6-10 bullets even if it is 9mm.

After 9/11 in nyc lots of regular NYPD cops were selected to recieve training with mp5s and ar/m16 platforms.

hey njtrigger, I see you never got charged by a rhino;)

We actually have two; 8 M16A1's, compliments of Uncle Sam, and 8 Colt 9mm SMG's, sometimes referred to as the DEA Model. The 9's are, well... picture an M16 that went through the dryer and shrank :D.

attachment.php

(Yeah, I know; he forgot to extend the stock. We had fun kidding him over that later :D.)

Did he get a "scope-eye", Capt? I know it may be a low recoiling gun, but a little snap on the brow from a hunk of metal never feels good...

School of hard knocks.:D

I actually would advocate most LE depts. to have easy access to full automatics in whatever caliber and ammo they desire. That way, the playing field will be in the disadvantage of criminals...

Swat teams of course have fully automatic weapons.

In Southern California it was a little different obviously for the average officer. Until the north Hollywood bank robbery about ten years, typical LAPD officers didn't have anything more then 9mm handguns and 12 gauge shotguns stored in the trunk.

North Hollywood bank robbery video

Everything on you tube seemed to be done by idiotic teenagers. This best video I could find on short notice.

I know since then HelLA issues officers AR-15s to be in the trunk. Of course, if California wasn't so anti-gun that incident would have ended much quicker. The officers actually had to go to nearby gun stores in order to get more powerful firearms.

"Do SWAT teams or police use automatic weapons?"

Its the norm for tactical teams to have access to, as in regular issue, to automatic weapons.

It is not the norm for non-patrol units.

"I actually would advocate most LE depts. to have easy access to full automatics in whatever caliber and ammo they desire."

I actually would advocate most private Citizens to have easy access to full automatics in whatever caliber and ammo THEY desire

:cool::D

"I dont think anything is going to survive with 6-10 bullets even if it is 9mm."

I dont think anything is going to survive with 6-10 bullets even if it is 9mm.
Wake up buddy, I can take 573 brainstem hits in 9mm but would instantly drop dead whe a .45 hits my pinky.

And - to the topic: Yes the do. MP5s, Glock 18 (Glock 17 Full Auto), and many .223 select-fire rifles. Multiple hits help if you can't shoot accurately. And most LEOs can't. They proof when competing.

9mm out of a longer SMG barrel pick up some serious velocity

Not necessarily. I've done quite a bit of homework on this topic and I've found that the gains in velocity and pressure are marginal most of the time. And slight at best.

We have 2 UMP 40's, 1 Colt Subgun, 1 MP5, 2 M14's (w/ switch:D) and somewhere there is alledgedly a closet full of Uncle Sam's M4's and 16's all decked out that our Admin won't let us get our hands on:mad:. Beyond that everyone in Patrol is issued an AR, a less lethal (aka Shotgun) and a Glock.

...I've found that the gains in velocity and pressure are marginal most of the time. And slight at best.
Forgive the temporary thread hijack, and I had to double check to be sure, but yep, it's right there on the receiver, "9mm NATO". I'm genuinely curious VU; if not because of unsafe pressures, why are these SMG's restricted to the lower pressure NATO rounds?

I guess my thinking that the NATO marking was to differentiate the caliber designation, not the loading, for .mil and .gov's who were likely to buy that rifle. Kinda like the stamp on the M16 that says 5.56. You can safely shoot all sorts of loads out of that rifle, not just M855. I have never seen it in print, or in a manual, where it is recommended to use lower pressure loads in an AR type subgun. A while ago I was doing lots of testing of various loads from my 16" carbine and then I tested the same with my 5.25" SBR. My research, as well as others', showed that velocity gains in the 16" were averaging 100-250 fps across all loadings of 9mm that I could come up with. This is all with factory 9mm loads, mind you, and the general understanding we came to is that the fast burning pistol powder used in pistol cartridges is used-up before the bullet leaves the barrel. Think about it, there isn't much of a fireball when you loose some rounds from that SMG. All the powder is burnt. Heck, history has shown that subguns like that love to eat heavy ammo like 147 and even 158 gr. bullets. Take the barrel off that Colt sometime and look at the construction of the chamber. It is built like an armored car. 9mm subguns can run much higher pressures than 9mm pistols. I think that 124gr. NATO loads are a little anemic from a subgun.

Back